Can this really work?

GBMUD

As the use time is tiny, the leads can be small. Electrical stuff is very often rated at a current AND a time, say 600A for 10s, 100A for a minute.

That's how they get away with small leads.

I would think they are a pretty good bit of kit to be honest.

I have some LiFePO batteries for my quadcopter which are rated at 85C discharge - they are 5AH so that equals 425A OK the leads on them are not up to delivering that current for very long but they will source over 100A for an extended period.

Something like this is thus well within the realms of possibility as a starter only takes 250A for a few sec.

Si

I don't know mate, the latest thing is what they're calling "Plus" houses. Them being ones that don't just save you energy, they make you energy. There's one recently unveiled in Norway (read worse for sun than here) that generates enough electricity off grid to not only power and heat the house every day of the year, but it'll also charge your EV every day too. I'm a die hard red blooded petrol head, can't help but be seduced by all that though.

There are moves afoot to increase taxes and charges for diesels, because officialdom has discovered they pollute the environment. When the diesels are all gone, I expect they will find there are nasty chemicals involved in these new batteries, and they will have to tax them.