dead v8 discovery

alland

hi guys i have found a v good cond v8 discovery on a 1995 m reg but it wont start ,weve tried everything it turns over theres spark lots of fuel , theyve checked distrubutor leads plugs even tried bypassing with hotwire,the voltage is good at coil and when cranking put new fuel in it ,compression ok he is all about to give up but i thought id ask here any ideas thx

Yep dead spark plugs, after drying them I use a gas burner to heat them up and let them cool down, like the one chefs use to carmilise things.

Remove the fuel pump fuse and crank engine over to get the fuel out of the cylinders before you put the spark plugs back.

Or just put new ones in if its easyer, but will still recomend drying the cylinders.

Are the valves/rocker arms/ tappets properly adjusted? If they're far enough out the truck won't start. My old series 2a did the same thing after I rebuilt and changed the cylinder head.

No adjustment on a Rover V8, hydraulic tappets.

I still vote for fresh plugs as the simplest thing to try.

thx guys its in the garage near him and theyre lost at the moment he bought it as a non runner the guy said it just stopped running and its never re started i think hes on about floggin it now its a shame as for a disco its vv clean

hi guys weve tried taking plugs out testing them theyre sparking put blow torch on them timing ok its all there even tried easy start not even attempting to fire ? im lost lol

Never be fooled about the spark plugs(hope you checked all eight) sparking outside of the engine, the spark has to be a very fat blue spark, not just some tiney little transparant blue spark. Once the plug is back in the engine the spart must overcome the resistance of the compressed air as well.

+1 on the suggestion to renew the complete HT system, this is of course if you are 100% sure the timing and compression is spot on.

So without spraying sh@t down the intake, are the spark plug's wet with fuel when you remove them after a few attempts to start it?

My 95 v8 has moments like yours. Not recommended but three times in the last year I've turned her and she's not kicked off. By passed Spider long time back but still seems to be

immobiliser stoppage. On all occasions, after normal checks I have ended up pumping the fuel pedal like a demented one legged cyclist speeding down a hill. And she slowly but surely fires up. I'm thinking relay problems but that's for another day. Good luck. This is my second oldish Disco 1 and they've both been great motors. Worth a wee bit of work.

Regards. Diksdown

Mine got to be a bad starter and it was partly because the cam lobes were flat. So it can be a valve issue with rovers happy-shopper cams :)

If it doesn't even try with a snort it has to be ignition. And the carbon from the petrol can impregnate the porcelain as can the engine oil. Has it still got ignition bypass for a 9volt coil on those?

they just aren't an engine that likes starting :)