Dead turbo?

My 200tdi runs perfectly(as far as I can tell)

When I bought it I noticed a little play in the turbo shaft so I ordered a new core.

Today I opened up the air box and oil poured out! Not a little residue, my brand new green filter is black after 500miles. My question is am I right in my diagnosis? I'm not missing something silly? The engine breather hasn't been connected to that airbox since the air filter was put in

If as you say the engine breather isn't connected to the filter I'm at a loss as to how oil could get into the filter, regardless of the turbo spinning air will pass through the filter-turbo-intercooler-intake manifold - engine, if the oil seals on the turbo are blown oil will follow the air stream and oil will collect in the intercooler, how its getting into the air filter is beyond me

yup I'm stumped. It should be filling the inter cooler up as you say but no! Bloody land rovers! I recently fitted a silicone hose between the turbo and air box, the old one was full of gunk but it obviously restricted the flow of oil to the air bin but now the smooth pipe is allowing it to flow

I managed to Undo the turbo bolts last night so it'll be removal today and I'll try to fit the core And we will see

• 2 weeks later...

On my 19j the air filter is regularly covered in oil by something but I'm sort of going on the principle that its running fine atm so I'm not going to start digging around and possibly upsetting it until something breaks haha

• Like 1

On my 19j the air filter is regularly covered in oil by something but I'm sort of going on the principle that its running fine atm so I'm not going to start digging around and possibly upsetting it until something breaks haha

if I remember rightly the breather hose on the 19j connects to the air box before the air filter, hence why you get a very black filter, a truely pants design.