VIN sale reporting

robertspark

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121583209793?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26ghostText%3D%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D121583209793%26_rdc%3D1

your link didn't work,

edit: is there a way to search an auction site for new sellers with 0 or low feedback score, selling high value cars etc?

not that i'm stupid enough to buy anything from such sellers, but it would throw up some interesting listings.

What am i missing? Same vehicle, different prices so looks odd (also marked as 5 door on ebay), but why fraudulent? (forgive me if its obvious, but I'm missing it!). Has someone else (i.e. not the owner) copied the autotrader ad in the hope that another will bite on the price?

That's why they make them really cheap Richard, people see a bargain and forget themselves, get caught up in the moment and all common sense goes out the window and they send their money.

They make up some great stories to, like they are in the forces and are selling the car because they have been stationed overseas, the car is on a secure army base so you can't go and see it but it will be delivered to you and it's cheap because of this ...... honest ;)

just seen this on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/land-rover-defender-Td5-110-Galvanized-Chassis-Project-Not-90-Or-Tdi-4x4-/261797256195?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cf4551c03

reads like a possibly used td5 chassis [but not 100% sure] bead blasted & galvanised & NO identity

from advert text ----

Genuine Land Rover 110 chassis galvanised! Please not this is for project only!! No I'd

just seen this on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/land-rover-defender-Td5-110-Galvanized-Chassis-Project-Not-90-Or-Tdi-4x4-/261797256195?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cf4551c03

reads like a possibly used td5 chassis [but not 100% sure] bead blasted & galvanised & NO identity

The difference is no one is likely to buy that for an id to ring another. I would even be tempted myself to rebuild my CSW. onto. He could have bought a new chassis and had it galved and started to rebuild his own.

Legitimate sale of a rolling chassis with axles not enough to make 8 points but it's not advertised that way either whether it's a new or second hand one will make a diff to the buyer as to whether it will be a q retain a plate or is built as a new plate

Good luck to the honest seller (even if a bit vague)

Although not entirely legal to rebuild those, as reb 78 says they are selling a solid chassis not just an id with a bucket of rust. Although some body could be tempted to ring them that isn't what the adverts are eluding to.

The first one is fine as it's a chassis with an ID, and better still the advert doesn't say anything along the lines of bucket of rust, post V5 in advance collect when you want, collect what you want I can dispose of the rest....seen that all too many times and I know exactly what the sellers thoughts are....

The second, I'm not qualified to say. It's a heavily modified chassis as far as I'm concerned and then puts the the 5 points in danger. I would say a 100" on a shortened disco is IVA territory, but I'm no expert.

The first one is fine as it's a chassis with an ID, and better still the advert doesn't say anything along the lines of bucket of rust, post V5 in advance collect when you want, collect what you want I can dispose of the rest....seen that all too many times and I know exactly what the sellers thoughts are....

The second, I'm not qualified to say. It's a heavily modified chassis as far as I'm concerned and then puts the the 5 points in danger. I would say a 100" on a shortened disco is IVA territory, but I'm no expert.

I agree Ed. With the second my opinion is that its a.) honest - i.e. he has described the mods to the chassis and b.) its a disco and so perhaps (?) less likely to be used to ring anything

I think this thread needs to be careful not to focus on everyone selling something with ID. Where does it stop? Rolling chassis ok? Lets face it, you could sell an old knackered defender for very little money complete (less likely as this year goes on) and still use the ID from it and scrap the rest.

I'd suggest the thread probably needs to concentrate on those blatantly selling ID/V5 with nothing else from the original vehicle.

I'd suggest the thread probably needs to concentrate on those blatantly selling ID/V5 with nothing else from the original vehicle.

I agree, and I'd include those with buckets of rust too, which are distinctly dubious as the sellers intentions - trying to bypass the system as it were

Things are getting a little out of hand. there are sellers of legitimate rolling chassis out there.Although I travelled over 100 miles to collect one from Leicester the other year, which the seller had on Ebay, only to find when I got there that the chassis vin didn't match the V5c. He had casually told me whilst we were walking to where the chassis was stored at his mates house that his mate had recently rebuilt his csw. It wasn't until I was driving home a lot lighter on fuel and a day lost that I realised his mate had probably used the chassis that the V5 related to and they were selling off his old chassis with the wrong V5. So his mate probably has built his own ringer and may not realise the consequences. If so I think it serves them right if they get caught. I could have cut my losses taken the chassis and sold off the parts then the id and come out of it a bit richer.

Whilst selling a complete chassis with a v5 may not have enough points to retain the registration you will need the v5 and receipts for all the other bits to reregister it correctly so in fact if they are selling a chassis and matching v5 there's no major problem. Though as ballcock has hinted when you do reregister you may land someone else in a whole heap of trouble.

Mike

• Like 1

This is the kind of thing that sets my alarm bells ringing...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASSIC-RANGE-ROVER-2-DOOR-TAX-EXEMPT-ROLLING-CHASSIS-V5-/121586761668?ssPageName=ADME:SS:SS:GB:3160

Title says rolling chassis with V5. Ok, fine nothing wrong with that.

Read on..... Collection only, but I can post bits.......ok...so just what are you proposing to post.....??? That strikes me as an offer to post the brass V5 chassis plate and the V5....

Then at the very end, a badly spelt addition about ebay wanting him to change to a business account......ebay doesn't do that, well not unless you give them reason too anyway. This guy strikes me as being well aware of the rules of selling V5's, and also very aware of the tax exempt status of the reg, and also extremely cute at trying to bypass the rules!

the V5 photo's within that RR chassis above, shows it as a M suffix reg, on the V5 page it clearly states 3800cc & Heavy oil [aka diesel]

carefully placed bits of paper to hid the full reg number & beginning of the full chassis 17 digit number, dodgy or what :wacko::unsure: