VIN sale reporting

robertspark

The registration document/certificate is not intended to have any intrinsic value. It is an extract of the information that is held by the Secretary of State for a vehicle on the vehicle register. The Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2002 specify that the registration document should be returned when details of the vehicle and/or keeper change. This allows the register to be updated with the revised information and a new document issued.

I can confirm that the V5 registration document or the V5C registration certificate belong (are legal property) to the Secretary Of State and it is illegal to sell them.

The more people who know its illegal the less people will attempt to break the law is my view, and reporting it and posting on forums doesn't provoke reactions with stupid laws, what drives stupid laws is inaction and the gov making laws and being able to make money from it

• Like 2

Just a thought but did anyone try contacting the seller to point out it's is illegal to sell a v5 and chassis plate without the corresponding vehicle. I'm thinking he may not know why his auction got pulled and on the basis he's listed it before he'll probably list it again.

Mike

Sorry to put in a negative , but trying to get the authorities interested is flogging a dead horse , all the different agencies put it in "its not in my remit" box , basically as they dont want to allocate any funding to deal with it , and its been tried from inside one of the agencies with the same result :(

Then in which case tacr2man the best thing to do is to keep disrupting the auctions and make selling the ID's difficult.

Perhaps the reason this seller has had to relist 4 times because of timewasters (I think that's what he said) is because people are intentionally wasting his time to stop him selling the ID?

• Like 1

I agree with the idea of posting details of suspect ebay listings, to enable more people to complain about it. It is only by many people complaining that any action will be taken. Doing nothing just allows wrong doing to continue. We all have a responsiblity towards stoping crime. The more people complain about any listing the more likely action will be taken.

• Like 1

suggest pruning all the comments out of this thread and just run with a thread to list them if it's a forum go'er? (or delete the thread and start a new one). I'm not here to be a troll or anything else.

Maybe with the first posting listing what to do if we find something (i.e. post it but click the report link and send an email off to AVCIS, etc etc, and leave other interested parties to do the same)

• Like 1

In the picture is the chassis but it has now been cut up as it was in very poor condition, I am looking for the front leg but can't find it at the moment.

...reported

I reported that one the day it was listed. Then put it in my watch list to see if it would be pulled.

Dodgy as as far as I'm concerned!! The seller has gone to a lot of effort to point out that it's over 25 so exportable to the USA, and also LEZ exempt. They know the dodges perfectly. Those plates will end up on a certain retailer's vehicle bound for the USA, probably a brand new puma.

There was a similar listing a few months ago that was worded very cleverly.

The listing was for a 1997 Landrover 90 defender 300tdi, there was one picture of press release from 1997 and one picture of a brake servo with a vin plate. It was listed in the cars category as a classified ad for £500.

The description read something like 1997 300tdi, V5 states blue county station wagon, 4 previous owners on V5, mileage on last mot was 150k, brake servo and other relevant items are in original condition, numberplates have original dealer logo. Mot history shows failure in 2012 due to chassis corrosion, ideal excuse for a galvanised chassis project!

It was very clear as to what the listing was really for but also hard to break any of the listing rules.

Dodgy as as far as I'm concerned!! The seller has gone to a lot of effort to point out that it's over 25 so exportable to the USA, and also LEZ exempt. They know the dodges perfectly. Those plates will end up on a certain retailer's vehicle bound for the USA, probably a brand new puma.

Not anymore US custom & homeland security have got wise to this dodge now, thats why various US defender owners had their vehicles seized so Customs could carry out VIN number checks, If all was ok the vehicles were returned, but if it was proved to be wrong vehicle was crushed.

• Like 1

I reported that one the day it was listed. Then put it in my watch list to see if it would be pulled.

So want about this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-110-Station-Wagon-chassis-V5-log-book-vin-plate-/191504808884?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c96937bb4

Looks fine as chassis is in the pic, but read the description and the chassis has been cut up, so it's just the id for I sale!

In the picture is the chassis but it has now been cut up as it was in very poor condition, I am looking for the front leg but can't find it at the moment.

...reported

That is now no longer available due to a mistake in the listing. :huh:

That is now no longer available due to a mistake in the listing. :huh:

Yeah, the mistake was listing it at all! I'm guessing they have seen this thread and decided to pull it.

EDIT: actually that's probably because it's been sold and they are avoiding the eBay final value fee.

As there seems to be quite a few of these that come up from time to time, thought it may be worth starting a thread?

Maverik spotted this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181671283005?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D181671283005%26_rdc%3D1

Are we ok to run with such a thread?

This fella says he's listed it 4 times due to non-payers!!

Did anyone keep a copy of this auction before it was pulled? If so can you send me one? Thanks

just keep listing them and we can then collectively use the report function via ebay to hit the quota target.

I suspect its going to be a bit of whack a rat as someone still has something to sell and may not be aware of the problem without someone advising them that a dumb iron, V5C, chassis tag and some number plates are missing about 8 other points to constitute a vehicle.

Just something I've stumbled across and it may be useful for this thread, maybe not.

Using the following format of URL you can still see the main auction image even after the auction has been deleted, just change the item number and leave everything else alone (including the -0-1 on the end of the item number)

h ttp://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/181671283005-0-1/s-l1000.jpg (I've shoved the space in to stop the forum software messing with the url)

when you actually look on ebay its no wonder so many bikes and landies go missing when access to V5c is so easy, the number of bike frames (assuming bikes have same points based rules?)

with ebay taking a fee , they are taking part in the sale, wonder if the authorities actualyl could get a legal case against ebay for illegal sale of a V5c, that might be the only thing that stops ebay condoning these sales.

yet to see anyone try sale a Q reg though!!!