VIN sale reporting

robertspark

......Then at the very end, a badly spelt addition about ebay wanting him to change to a business account......ebay doesn't do that, well not unless you give them reason too anyway. This guy strikes me as being well aware of the rules of selling V5's, and also very aware of the tax exempt status of the reg, and also extremely cute at trying to bypass the rules!

What private individual has nearly 500 items on ebay at one time?

So which ones the dodgy one...

EBay;251869144021

Or

http://uk.findyourauto.net/LAND-ROVER-DEFENDER-110-MINT-CONDITION-2007-GUN-METAL-GREY-NO-RESERVE-ZZc-29748-ZZi-251748266403.aspx

Click on the details and see where it takes you...

BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU LOOK UP THAT EBAY LISTING (mobile site seems safe but full site will forward you to a phishing site)

The second one has been removed Maverick (my mistake it's still there) but the eBay one is not only fake but appears to auto forward you to a phising site designed to look exactly like eBay but prompt you to log back in so they can steal your credentials.

The original listing is 251748266403 which they stupidly left the item number displayed in the phising listing.

BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU LOOK UP THAT EBAY LISTING (mobile site seems safe but full site will forward you to a phishing site)

The second one has been removed Maverick (my mistake it's still there) but the eBay one is not only fake but appears to auto forward you to a phising site designed to look exactly like eBay but prompt you to log back in so they can steal your credentials.

The original listing is 251748266403 which they stupidly left the item number displayed in the phising listing.

I noticed that. The web address isn't an ebay one, but looks just like it.

Something that has occurred to me is this thread is now a bit of a one stop shop for the unscrupulous. Granted eBay is the same but just a thought.

Mike

You could be right but hopefully if they get removed often enough then people may stop listing them. This guy's got a cheek I was one who reported it. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/land-rover-s2-chassis-1968-tax-exempt-/251881562949?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3aa54fa345

Well I decided to send this guy a message to see what response I got. This is what I sent.

Do you realise it is illegal to sell a V5C on it's own? You do not own the registration details they are owned by the dvla and relate only to the vehicle they were issued to. To maintain the registration you need to have at eight points on the dvla's system which you are not selling. saying you only need to buy a new chassis is incorrect, and by offering to sell a V5C only is promoting the theft of some one else's pride and joy for a ringer. Feel free to be annoyed at me for reporting this item and hopefully when Mr. Plod feels your collar or your own vehicle has been stolen for some one else's gain you may see things differently.

• Like 2

Most won't show the full registration so they know the game, really needs someone in the legal system either a car crime copper or, DVLA to dig in and go for Ebay. By allowing the illegal sale of vehicle identities surely they must be technically breaking the law by aiding and abetting a criminal act?

A chassis isn't the true holder of an ID or reg mark the 8 points are, and then to compound it further its a pile of dust , a nice high profile prosecution would do wonders for this and greatly help car crime figures.

Letters to MP's do occasionally get some action maybe we should all write just an email to our MP's after all they will all be chasing votes soon.