VIN sale reporting

robertspark

The catch is is that it's not just a landrover problem but a general problem and highlighting the problem with one marque just will lead to more landrover bashing

We defiantly don't need more laws just enforce the ones we have. But those that enforce are probably under resourced because they are trying to enforce too many laws at once and govermnent departments are on ongoing cuts for the next 5 years or so.

Problem is media loves a story to improve ratings MPs love a law as it looks like they are doing something for a small minority problem remains who and how to enforce

Best way forward is just to keep getting them delisted from ebay although it may appear futile collectively it is actually a good job and one of two things will happen either those listing them will get bored and dispondant or we will what does it actually cost us to report them via the ebay reporting tool?

Nothing so just keep doing a good job

^^ what he said

About halfway thru reading the PH forum thread and seems we have all come to same conclusion , reporting the same details by the same methods to the same people.

Making use of contact details to identify business sellers and dropping an email to the local fuzz will hopefully make sure the business doesn't blatantly continue the illegal practises. We all know it happens and probably always will

Seems Landies and Kit Cars are amongst the most at risk for this along with Classic cars being easy to exchange parts to hide/confuse a true ID.

So report to ACVIS ( keep copy in case ebay remove sale)

Report to Ebay

Report to Local Old Bill

Report to DVLA - use the non taxed vehicle contact route

Keep going at it we may only drive it underground , but at least that minimises the number of 'cloned' vehicles

I had an update from AVCIS today about a previous report ...

I just thought I would let you know I have been in communication with DVLA and we are going to be forwarding all intelligence of this nature to them so that they can investigate and check records as well as prevent re-registration of cloned vehicles.

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

Regards,

I've asked if they would rather we emailed the DVLA directly and if so what point of contact is best.

I've asked if they would rather we emailed the DVLA directly and if so what point of contact is best.

Got a response first thing this morning.

please continue to send the information to us as it is useful to know. We can then forward it to DVLA.

Regards,

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

err..ok...so where is the chassis??? And why the coil springs???

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Series-2-1964-restoration-project-with-V5-/201339179457?

Sometimes the old ways aren't the best, photoshopping the number plate to hide part of it would work better than taping over when it's a number plate with raised numbers! Keep your eyes open for PMB 353B appearing on a 90 near you soon ....

• Like 1

Basically Lewis it's a whole lot of people going 'yeah but.... what if I.... ' in denial of the fact that an ID for £900 is realistically not going to be used for someone building a 110 from all brand new parts. I think we all have a good idea what the real use would be. It's also quite amusing to know that at least two police officers have been following the thread.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How the heck do you sell (or buy). that lot of bits with a valid MOT and think it's going to be legal

At what point does the voice in the back of your head say I shouldn't be doing this?

There is the unknowing error of selling something you did not know you don't actually own or is illegal and then there is the point that you should be convicted, that one passed the latter for me, you cannot be physically and mentally capable of breaking a vehicle and not know what the purpose of an MOT certificate / inspection is

Shocking!

Sorry I had to say it how I saw it

(Tin hat at the ready)

How the heck do you sell (or buy). that lot of bits with a valid MOT and think it's going to be legal

At what point does the voice in the back of your head say I shouldn't be doing this?

There is the unknowing error of selling something you did not know you don't actually own or is illegal and then there is the point that you should be convicted, that one passed the latter for me, you cannot be physically and mentally capable of breaking a vehicle and not know what the purpose of an MOT certificate / inspection is

Shocking!

Sorry I had to say it how I saw it

(Tin hat at the ready)

Completely agree, I tend to report to avcis lately and not bother with ebay as few get removed any way. Although I never get any response from avcis so I am not sure what action is being taken.

Completely agree, I tend to report to avcis lately and not bother with ebay as few get removed any way. Although I never get any response from avcis so I am not sure what action is being taken.

AVCIS record information about it and then pass the details onto the DVLA who put a marker on it so the next time someone tries to transfer the V5 the vehicle gets called in for an ID check. That information came from a Sergeant at AVCIS who did email me back.