chassis dipping.....

Disco-Ron

Hi. I am mid build on a chassis to go under my truck.

I started with a brand new genuine chassis from land rover, so no dodgy goings on before you think that.

I have strengthened and added and removed brackets etc, including cage mounts.

The galvanizing co are concerned about the fact that the chassis has paint on the inside, obviously the outside can be blasted clean, but not the inside....

They say that the acid dip they use won't remove the paint, and that the galvanizing won't stick to anything other than bare metal....

The question is, what have others done, plenty of people have had chassis dipped, just don't know what has happened to the inside...

Thanks

They don't like galvanising anything other than bare metal - it gets impurities in their galv tank and risks molten metal spurting about.

I've had a used chassis galvanised, they weren't happy about it but did it in the end after much complaining, only because one of the sales guys confirmed the job with me before talking to the guys on the shop floor.

The heat of the molten metal does remove paint, but where there was rust/crud/paint left on the chassis the galv definately didn't take as well and left rusty streaks.

Don't see why an acid bath shouldn't remove it satisfactorily though - i think there are enough holes in a chassis to avoid air pockets inside the rails

I would have thought the acid tank at the Galv would remove the paint .

There's a firm in the Midlands that strips paint off car shells by dipping them in a tank , which I would have thought they'd be able to sort it for you ?

Sorry I can remember the name of the firm , there was a feature on them in one of the comics a while ago

I would have thought the acid tank at the Galv would remove the paint .

There's a firm in the Midlands that strips paint off car shells by dipping them in a tank , which I would have thought they'd be able to sort it for you ?

Sorry I can remember the name of the firm , there was a feature on them in one of the comics a while ago

Think it is called Surface Processing Ltd. in Dudley.

Have no experience but think they are pretty well known in the total refurb/classic car market.

Barry

I used http://www.paint-strip.co.uk in Preston to clean my bulkhead and chemical coat in (tannin type process) may be worth considering as a pre-treat without the tannin then galv dip. Sure there are other similar companies about

They did a pile of other brackets for me too came us good then zinga painted the lot

I live just outside Preston - are we local to each other ?

Thanks for the replies. ... The biggest current issue is that I'm about as far south as you can get. .. so even dudley is not really an option when delivery and collection is considered. ....plus I doubt that the process is cheap bearing in mind that the actual galvanising will be less than £100....

Looks like I'll get it blasted and dipped then throw loads of waxoyl in it......

Just to go back to my first thought - do they actually paint inside the chassis ? I thought the openings on the rear crossmember may get a bit - but that the rest would be bare metal ?

If that's the case and you can show them that (borescope?) then maybe the external blasting would be enough ?

Having cut off the rear cross member. I can confirm that there is paint everywhere inside. . I can only assume some sort of electrostatically adhered finish. It's not very thick hence why the new chassis rot out in no time. ... also hence my desire to dip....

a trip to dudley will cost me a day off work each time. ..

being self employed sucks.... anyone that says differently is either lying or able to charge way more than I can. ..

• Like 1

If you do waxoil the chassis inside, buy yourself a load of rubber grommets, block off as many hole as you can and pour in the oil, lift the chassis one end, then the other, as many times as you can. Me and mate did this with his series 3, it's surprising how many holes there are in a chassis.