steering issues???!!!

JMZ153

So today I changed my 4 bolt power steering box on my 90 As the old one was leaking and the shaft needs to be worked on as its work quite abit.. to cut a long story short, changed it and bled it.. on my previous box, my wheels used to rub on the radius arms on full lock on both sides as my tires are big.. now with the new box, they rub on the radius arms on full lock to the right only and full lock to the left they dont.. also I noticed my steering wheel is off centre now.. since changing the box and noticing this problem I removed the drop arm, set the wheels to straight, set the steering wheel straight and tried to put the drop arm back on but the steering wheel turns to off centre to align up the drop arm... could the problem be in the steering rack itself as that was removed completely.. could it need some type of alignment? Quick answers will be highly appreciated as tomorrow is supposed to be play day :(

You need to remove the drop arm and the lower column from the box, centralise the wheel, box and road wheels, and then reconnect them. You should also have set the stop locks to prevent the tyres contacting the radius arms as damage to the tyres, wheel bearings and steering will result - it could have been a contributory cause in the old steering box failure.

No need to remove the drop arm, Just disconnect the drag link from drop arm, it only fits in 4 places, but only one of those 4 is the correct place for correct steering,

steering box may need to be centralised. see the attached page from workshop manual.

post-20-0-57938900-1424545844_thumb.jpg

Yes the steering shaft with the two universal joints from the steering wheel to the steering box is fitted properly.. as far as I know there is only one way that it fits in in order for the bolts to clamp on.. maybe I'm wrong and there is some setting there??

Thinking about it, there aren't any unique splines on it - I made a shaft to fit the UJ's. As far as I am aware the bolt though will only go in one place.

Suggests to me then that the steering stops and wheel have always been set wrong and they should be reset correctly rather than anything else.

So Western, I tried what you said but it's still exactly the same :(

column UJ's only fit so the bolts that clamp them are across the machined flat areas, sounds like the steering stops are badly adjusted or missing.

don't worry about getting the wheels & steering wheel lined up, once the road wheels are set, adjust the drag link [rod in front of axle] to get the steering wheel straight, adjustment will not affect the road wheels,tracking or the steering box.

So just ot out of the garage and so far it looks good.. what I did was removed the steering rod with the two UJ's, jacked up the front of the 90 and turned the wheels full lock left, and made sure they were full lock by manually turning the input shaft on the steering box. Then set the steering wheel to centre, turned it 1 3/4 turns left and put the steering rod back on.. tried it in garage and it looks fine.. wheels on both side are rubbing on full lock and steering wheel is in centre.. these wheels always rub as they are quite wide.. so should be putting a set of 30 mm spacers on the wheels soon.. thanks again guys and I'll let you know how it goes after I drive it :)

carp news :( drive it for abit and same result.. right hand wheel rubs (normal) and passenger side doesn't rub.. so I'm guessing it turns more on the right side then on the left side.. but the steering wheel is now centred.. what the hell is going on ? :(

Like I said, you haven't got the box centred when you set everything else.

Disconnect the drop arm, turn the steering wheel from one lock tot he other counting the turns and part turns and then count back exactly half to centralise the box. Now refit the drop arm with the road wheels straight ahead - you should see some alignment marks on the back of the drop arm and the box neck - use them and adjust the drag link for fin tuning of the road wheels while the box remains centred.

The lower column and UJs: the splined sections with the flats for the bolts is only on the expanding joint on the RR, and I imagine the same on the Defender column. On the bottom of the main column and the box input shaft, there is a groove for the bolt that runs all the way round, so you can align the shaft and UJ in any position.

So, centralise the box perfctly, and then the road wheels to the nearest position that allows the drop arm on, then adjust the drop arm. Set the steering wheel by the UJ positions or steering wheel itself with the box still centralised.

It depends on whether it was correctly set up before and on what the tolerances are on the boxes. Any adjustment should be small if it was correctly set up before. It should just be a matter of fine tuning half a turn of the rod ends/link to get it tracking dead straight, but probably won't need doing.

I just did all this on my 109 with P38/Defender hybrid steering - the P38 box has a little collar and lugs on the input shaft to denote centre, and I didn't remove the drop arm, but I did need to fabricate a drag link out of the excessively long P38 link, so a little fine tuning was required to get it to drive straight with the box centred. I centred the box first, then set the upper column with the steering lock engaged and put the wheel on straight, then attached the lower column with UJs to the centralised box and column - that meant that once the drag link was made up and fitted, the only adjustments to get the steering straight were in the drag link.

Your Adwest box has a slightly different centring indication system, on the output rather than input. There is a lug with a hole behind the output shaft and two lugs on the rop arm that you can put a pin through. The trick is making sure you have the drop arm on the right position of its shaft - I can't remember if there is only one master spline (which would be easiest) or several, which would allow the arm to be set at the wrong position. If there are several master splines, then you need to remove the arm, set the box to the middle of its range and then refit the drop arm at the position closest to pointing straight ahead. With the drop arm fitted, align the lugs on the box and arm. You can then set the column and drag link as described before.

• Like 1

There are four master splines I believe, so you could only be 90, 180, or 270 degrees out. In other words it's pretty much impossible to be that much out. The correct method is to centralise the box as above, then set the drag link in order to get the wheels pointing straight ahead. Then put the steering wheel on in the straight ahead position.

It's important that the box is centralised when driving straight as the steering input/effort settings vary in its travel.

• Like 1

The steering stops should halt the steering, not the extremes of the steering box or rubbing your tyres.

It is unlikely the box is not centred as it has 4 major splines so would have to be 90 degrees out if wrong and you would notice that straight away.

When you have got it roughly centred you can either take the steering wheel off to correct it's wonkiness, or adjust the drag link. Either way is good.

The steering stops should be set to "just short of your tyres rubbing".

• 3 weeks later...