Off topic, SUV tyres

HoggyN

OK, so this is non-Land Rover sort of, although the tyres in question are standard fit on Defenders.

Mrs Hoggyn is a blonde bimbo (with an engineering degree) who drives a Korean SUV. The standard tyres are pretty dreadful on anything other than pristine tarmac and I want to fit a set of Michelin Latitude Cross tyres.

The question is: Are these tyres good all-rounders, on/off road?

Well Michelin are getting close to the top of the tyre range and have an enviable reputation international rally wise so I guess they would be very good grip and all terrain adherence, that said they aren't reputed (as a make) to have a long life .

No direct onwership experience but I don't like the look of them much - just another compromised road tyre aimed at meeting the drive-by noise regulations IMHO. Why did you choose them particularly - and what size is needed?

I think they fall into the category of a tyre I might tolerate on a vehicle that they came fitted to, but would never buy to fit later with my own money. A "good all rounder" to me is at least an all-terrain tread.

Cheers.

The long life thing is interesting as I thought long life was something of a Michelin trademark.

I was considering them primarily because, from reviews on the web, they seemed to be a pretty decent road tyre but still with some off-road abilities. The car gets used in fields a fair bit. It has Vredestein winters on at the moment that are superb on wet grass but absolutely useless in mud. The size is 235/55R18.

From experience of Conti X contact AT on Freelanders , and Honda , excellent all rounder , including SUV levels of mud , not defender 90 levels. HTSH

The tread depth is a good indicator of off road ability , if its the same as normal tyre eg 9mm don't expect any difference off road to any other road tyre , fancy tread patterns mean stuff all

Can't comment on the Michelins but I run General grabber AT on the Freelander, as does another chap in the club.

My experience has been good so far (24k miles & counting), civilised on the road (including wet, snow, towing) and pretty capable off it and haven't noticed them wearing much yet.

Those RH06 tyres look good but are probably a bit too road biased for what we need. Wet grass is a must. Mud would be nice.

There may be a bit of room for different sizes but I'd rather stay stock as the thing has still got nearly four years of warranty left on it and I don't want to give them any excuse to turn down a repair.

Mrs H has already managed to rip the centre out of a clutch plate. That and the associated gearbox damage would have cost a small fortune to repair out of warranty. As it was, they accepted that the plate must have been faulty and repaired the car without a murmur.