how long is a 2.4Tdci engine with the MT82+LT230?

Nigelw

I have no issue with the transfer box,but the engine is horrible,constantly finding new ways to top itself,the gearbox is a bit better but not much.TD5 was far better.LR independants love the Puma engine almost as much as the old VM engine used in RR Classics before the TDI came out...

i thinks its good engine. td5 arent cheap when they go bang or fill them selves up with diesel or crack the heads or the dowls melt or the fuel pumps go........

the early gearboxes have had clutch issues but again the LT77 isnt the strongest and the engine does put out some decent torque specially when remapped.

having done 40,000+ miles ...34,000 on a decent remap and de cat its very much a better vehicle than a td5.

Love these people who quote the pub gossip as facts.

2.2 is even nicer apparently.

The transmission issue is a problem with the adaptor shaft from the MT82 to the LT230. Insufficient lubrication either at installation stage or by design leads them to shear off their splines leaving no drive. Quite surprising given that Land Rover had a similar problem back in the Tdi days with the LT77/R380 output shafts wearing, one would have thought they would have learned their lesson. I'm not sure why the extension housing that encloses this adaptor shaft on the back of the MT82 couldn't just be oil-filled and solve the problem, but I am sure they had good reason.

As for the rest of the drivetrain, I've found them quite variable in driveline slack feel. One 2008 130 was felt like it had done 400,000 miles instead of the 400 it had covered, but the current 2012 110 I sometimes have reason to drive is much better and, apart from the kangarooing at low revs, is more or less pleasurable to drive.

No,never heard of them. I have a small group of private customers and a large group of local garages who I do diagnostic work for. I am also a member of a private LR independants forum which the public cannot view. I only offer my advice on here as a personal view based on mine and other garages experience,if you don't like it or you think I'm wrong that's fine.I cant be bothered to argue and have nothing to prove.