Lidl Splitting Axe.

rrr47

Late last year I purchased a Lidl splitting axe, £12.99 was it's price as I remember. My philosophy is either to buy the best, or the cheapest. Most products in-between I find have the characteristics of the lowest price item except a far higher price, with no gain towards the best. And so on finding the Lidl axe with a horrid fibreglass handle but a price far cheaper than any other axe construct the same, I purchased one. Everyone said "that won't last 5 minutes", "that handle will snap the first time you use it", e.t.c. Well, after 4-5 months of heavy splitting, including Elm and Oak, the head of the said axe has started to drift off. Only 1 or 2mm, but it is enough to see that the fibreglass is not complete under the steel head. This may just be an air bubble trapped during the injection process, or the design to fit handle to head. I contacted Lidl late January who directed myself to the manufacturer in Germany, both of whom promised either a replacement or a full refund. And today the replacement arrived, straight to my door all the way from the manufacturer in Europe.

post-101823-0-01083100-1424890865_thumb.jpg

post-101823-0-59098300-1424890874_thumb.jpg

post-101823-0-42864400-1424890884_thumb.jpg

post-101823-0-63559800-1424890894_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

With Lidl or Aldi gear, which carries a guarantee (3 years for electrical items), I put the receipt in a plastic cover and either keep it in the original box, or in a file. I agree that they work out that on average most people do not keep it and cannot claim.

So far I have had 2 replacement cordless jump start/ tyre inflators with no quibble during the 3 year warranty.

They do keep their promises.

Barry

It's good to know they are good by their word. I think as well a lot of the tools and such are lost leaders. They know when the men see the tidy tools in the leaflet, they'll be dragging the wife to Lidl/Aldi for the weekly food shop just to look/get a new tool or something.

I put one in my trolley last year, did another lap of the store and put it back. I'd just bought a Fiskars X27 so I thought why do I need yet another splitting axe?

<thumbs up emoticon> for the Fiskars X27 btw!

I bought a Fiskars 2 years ago.

Got to be about 1/3 of the effort to split than the maul it replaced.

A kind of associated heads up - St. Aldi have their air comp and air tools offers on Thursday 5th.

Looking to buy an impact driver and air wrench for light use at work. Anybody tried them last time around??

Barry

That air compressor is not the Wolf one they used to do. Not sure what brand it is.