5 speed gearbox

Texpis

Hi all

from my previouse thread about sticking in gear looking like the box will have to come out. The Landy has a 2.8 ford cologne engine with Range Rover diffs and is surprisingly spritely. If I am to remove the gearbox I would probably refresh the engine and maybe fit a 5 speed box. It has a galvanised chassis so I would like to keep cutting to a minimum.

I looked on Ashcroft site and they have 2 ways of doing it one is the adapter which puts a 5 speed box on the original transfer box, this moves the engine forward 4" I don't think this is a problem and would be my preferred route but this kit is £450 which is quite expensive. Is there anything else needed to fit this kit eg different floor panels gearbox crossmember removed?

The other way is using the defender transfer box and they sell a mod that removes the centre diff so making it 2 wheel drive and when locking the diff it turns to 4 wheel drive. Has anyone done any of these mods.

I did do a search but could realy find anything.

Mick

I've got the 2WD LT230 mod but you don't really need it. I posted a write-up of the install on here ages ago, it's in the technical archive I think. If you can machine a bush & weld properly then you can likely do the conversion yourself.

I run an R380 behind a 4.6 in my 109, no adapter plates etc.

If you have RR diffs then an Lt230 might be better matched anyway, and you have a choice of ratios in high box from 1:1 to 1.6:1 depending on tyre size / usage etc.

Cheers for the replies guys I quite like the thought of the series looking stock inside, if you use the adapter plate with the standard series three transfer box do you need to change the tunnel and floors for the lt77 / r380 gearbox. Also which gearbox do I need I would guess defender!

Mick

The RRC and Discovery LT77s have the long bell housing and pinion. The R380 is made like that as standard, 300Tdi Defenders having the engine further forwards, but some were specially made for retrofit with short bell housings. I don't know about the relative gear lever positions - the Defender model sticks (both boxes) are aft of the Disco/RRC versions, but where they would enter a Series cab I don't know.

I've had both.

However I've long since ditched the series transfer box and fitted the lt230. Mines permanent 4wd, I wouldn't bother with the 2wd conversion.

I would never go back to the series transfer box. The lt230 is quiet for starters.....

Jon

So I guess you have defender axels I am hoping not to loose the look of the series or is there another way of getting 4 wheel drive?

Mick

You don't need to change axles at all. The only difference is you'll notice a bit of feedback through the steering around full lock as you have uj's not cv's in the front axle.