headlight upgrade relay

The headlights on my landy are the standard issue 1/2 a candle. And the bowls were rusty. So I decided to buy some nice H4 lights with plastic bowls. Decided I may as well add relays too while I am at it. So my question is, do I buy the relays at about £8 a piece from an auto electrical supplier, or the same price for 5 of them from ebay. I know the old saying about buying the best you can afford, but are they likely to be identical units? Anyone bought from ebay and had good/bad experiences with the relays?

It's not just the relays that need changing. It's the wiring as well.

Read this

http://landytown.myfastforum.org/about7578.html

You can make it up yourself Like I have done for may years. Or I believe you can buy a lllom ready made.

Notice that I use and recomend 70 Amp relays with a 9mm spade to make sure there is no volt drop at the connector.

HTH

It's not just the relays that need changing. It's the wiring as well.

Read this

http://landytown.myfastforum.org/about7578.html

You can make it up yourself Like I have done for may years. Or I believe you can buy a lllom ready made.

Notice that I use and recomend 70 Amp relays with a 9mm spade to make sure there is no volt drop at the connector.

HTH

Going to practically rewire the whole thing bit by bit. The readymade looms look OK, but I think I could do a better job and at less cost, plus its the satisfaction of doing something yourself. Also if I make my own it gives me some choices of relay location, where I take the power from etc. Not looking to cut corners by thinking about buying the cheaper relays, just wondered if they were the same ones that are sold for much more at places other than ebay.

Buy bosch if you can, I find them far more reliable.

But Durite are OK too, cheap ones tend to die in very short order.

This. Durite are the M&S of the auto electrical world. Sometimes others are better value, but 99% of the time the quality is acceptable.

And, have a word with the auto electrical supplier. There's trade price, retail price, and taking the pi**. £8 for a relay? Buy cheap, buy twice, but expensive always does not equal good.

Matt