Media blasting a rolling chassis ?

Anderzander

I have a series rolling chassis where the whole thing needs blasting. The chassis, axles, steering rods, everything is caked in thick horrible paint accumulated over the years.

My question is what are people's thoughts on having it blasted as a rolling chassis ? Rather than stripping it down.

I have someone telling me to pull it to bits, 'it's only a few bolts' 'Need to be careful' etc etc

I have someone else saying 'I did mine as a whole, it's been fine, it was easier to move transport it' etc etc

What's everyone's thoughts on it ?

Having it done as a rolling chassis is attractive simply because it's less work - as there's an awful lot to do on it without total disassembly - I'm also concerned about mission creep too.....

Beware of your balls! I had to replace mine as despite asking nicely twice they got basted too!

The chap I'm hoping will do it has a series - so hopefully all will be well. Perhaps there is something I could mask them off with for a bit of security......

How did your chassis turn out ? Any pictures you might share ?

if dismantled the hidden areas can be stripped by the bead blasting process, if not then those areas won't get done. plus easier to do any repairs on chassis if required.

My vote would be to strip. Better job as all of it can be got to.

I'm not sure about the hidden areas - I can't think that there would be many on a rolling series - and what there is won't be caked in 50 years of paint like the rest of.

I guess my preference here is more about a bit of expediency than out and out thoroughness - which is hard for me as its against my normal nature.

The chap I'm hoping will do it has a series - so hopefully all will be well. Perhaps there is something I could mask them off with for a bit of security......

How did your chassis turn out ? Any pictures you might share ?

There's a lot of hope in that sentence, I find that relying on hope rarely turns out well. I hope for your sake that I am wrong ;)

Anyway just trying to point out that murphy will creep in wherever you leave him room to spread his law about.

Out of curiosity if it is done as a rolling chassis how is he going to do the underside of everything? Lay on floor? Roll it over? Hang from ceiling? A chassis has a reasonable weight but with a couple of axles hanging off it it'll be a lot heavier. If you make the job harder for the bloke doing the blasting you will get a worse job done.

Define rolling chassis, and how will you get it to him?

If it's just axles, and I imagine you'll trailer it and he has a forklift, then I'd be inclined to swap the spring to chassis bolts for smaller ones, or even just bits of small bar. That way you can roll it on and off the trailer, and if he takes the weight with the forks you can pull the four and roll the axle out to safety.

Strip it. The spring ends hide the areas above them, and without inverting the chassis, the nooks and crannies won't get done. And if you get it to that point, you might then consider galvanising or hot zinc spraying.

• 2 months later...