Ird?

Pete stubbs

Hi all, I'm new to this forum, and I need help. There's a whining noise from underneath, that now also has a clicking, chattering sound, the local garage reckon Vic, and Ird. I got a replacement ird, and waiting to get it fitted. I had a look at the pinion shaft, and all the teeth look good, and no bits in the oil, would the pinion shaft be shot, if the Ird was at fault?

Just so we're clear, IRD bolts to the gearbox, front driveshafts and rear prop, and the VCU (Viscous Coupling) sits in the middle the of the propshaft like this:

VCU.jpg

Typically the VCU's seize up which stresses the gears in the IRD & rear diff, wearing them out. A reconditioned VCU is ~£250 and an easy swap with a pair of new support bearings, a new IRD is £1000 and a big job, I'd want to be sure I needed one before just buying one. Try driving with the propshaft & VCU removed.

A noise from underneath can be just the VCU support bearings, clonk from the back is often the diff nose support bush, another easy change.