Hitachi RR compressor, any good??

Gremlin

Dear all

Just acquired a hitachi RR air suspension compressor, i was thinking of hacking it to use for tyre inflation.

Any one else used an air suspension compressor for such use or will it burn out prematurely??

Got a little air tank also to use on the project.

What i need to know is what are all the wires and sensors that come with it, i know for sure one is a thermal sensor, and maybe the other is pressure??

Any RR compressor guru's verify wire codes?

G

They work very well! Very quiet too.

The motor usually has two fat wires and two thinner ones. The thinner wires monitor the temperature - so you can ignore these. Just connect the two fat wires to 12v. Doesn't matter which way round.

Si

Usually the unloader is installed to allow a smaller lower-powered electric motor to be used - it starts the compressor against no pressure so less load. With AC pump installations with 111HP 200TDi's behind them it seems to be not required!

I'd first look to see if it had one in the RR - I'm guessing not. If not, then it's a pretty fair bet it's not required.

However, as they're not expensive, it might be worth fitting one as it might well extend the life of the electric motor.

I think there might be bit of confusion here (maybe on my part). I have heard of 2 kinds of unloader - the ones that remove the pressure of the tank from the compressor to tank feed pipe when it stops, so it's not starting against the full pressure, and the unloader valves on say a petrol driven compressor, where the pump doesn't normally stop, that limit the pressure in the tank by releasing surplus air. I think in this case you'd need the first type (otherwise as EJP says it stresses the motor, or the magnetic clutch rather) , and they are quite often built into the pressure switch on small compressors. Plus you could really do with a safety valve.

Ok, its in my possession...............

Pics

post-116-0-12953500-1426244599_thumb.jpg

post-116-0-31690700-1426244629_thumb.jpg

Now to start understanding what everything is, sensors, intake, tanks.....etc etc. Than i will dismember it and use the bits i need.

The 2 cylinders on either side are tanks, those will go for sure as i have a little 4kg extinguisher bottle or an alum scuba tank which will work as the new tank.

There is a thermal sensor on the head and than there is another gizmo, which will need further investigation, might be some solenoid valve.

The whole thing will than be fitted next to the extra battery under the passenger seat.

G

So after some investigation, the two tanks at the sides are actually the air cleaners, intake.................

Tested it out and it works, now to see how to incorporate the thermal cutout.

G

Literally just dropped mine off at Challenger. I know from the IID Tool there appear to be two temperature sensors. One was motor and the other might be compressor temp.

Although I can get various pressures out so I wouldn't be surprised if there is a can bus somewhere.

Hi Ed, Thanks, i noticed it had another 2 wires going to the motor, so those are the motor temp, good.

I am still trying to find out the top can sensor (white and blue wires) but i guess i will set it up and test what it does via multimeter.

As to the temp sensors i was hoping they are an on/off type, that way i can cut the feed to the relay if it overheats.

I will post up when i delve deeper on what everything does!

Right now i am looking at the air tank, i have ditched the alum scuba tank (heavy), for a steel 6kg 350bar fire extinguisher, but i have to re-weld a bung on for the drain. I tried to avoid this by mounting the tank vertical, opening down, but due to space it just cannot be done it will have to be mounted horizontal.

G

Update

The mysterious can with the blue and white wire is a solenoid, what it does id still a mystery!

Pics of the modified mount and air intake cans

post-116-0-86423800-1427823355_thumb.jpg

post-116-0-42933100-1427823384_thumb.jpg

post-116-0-26516000-1427823395_thumb.jpg

post-116-0-18481300-1427823410_thumb.jpg

Fitted under seat, right next to the battery, its a tight squeeze but it fit.

Next is some paint to the braket and install in the seat box, i still need to work on the air tank and its mount, that will be another post.

G