Suspension bushes

I confess I have only had a quick look through old posts but find myself very short of time.

Whilst having a general check under my 95 300 Tdi pickup I noticed that some of the suspension bushes are cracking. There are a lot of polyurethane aftermarket kits around, are these better? Do they change the ride? Last longer? This is a working vehicle and I'm off road on a farm quite a lot, long journeys are few and far between but I guess longevity is the most important.

For normal use, use genuine. Nylon types are fine for competition use but give a harsher ride have less flex and IMHO don't last as long as genuine. With the front radius arms go for the double metal sleeve units fitted to Range Rover Classics, they last a lot longer than the standard single sleeve and have less flex. In any case you will need to use a hydraulic press to install all the bushes.

Metalastik is a brand name yes.

I've always been dubious of 'OEM' bushes, though the proper ones do have the name moulded into them.

So if metalastik is a brand name, and the original land rover ones state metalastik. Then the OEM ones from paddocks are equivalent to genuine?

So if metalastik is a brand name, and the original land rover ones state metalastik. Then the OEM ones from paddocks are equivalent to genuine?

I think in the case of bushes, yes that would probably be the case - so long as they are proper Metalastik ones.

Sometimes the manufacturer will make the same thing to different specifications for different customers, this happens with UJs for example where some of the cheaper 'OEM' ones might be made for Paddocks/Britpart by GKN or the like but are built to a vastly inferior spec than the ones that they make for LR. That's why they're so cheap, but because the original manufacturer that supplied LR made them they can call them OEM even though they're inferior to the proper product.

Stick with genuine. I replaced mine after 23ish years, so if it's longevity you want, then they same to fit the bill!

I'd like to think the quality is the same as 23 years ago, maybe even technically improved, but somehow I'm not sure they'll last 23 years again.

I would not buy PU ones. I think people buy them as they are easy to change, but they ruin the ride.

When it comes to bushes i would be buying genuine from dealer.

You mean to say the ride could be more uncomfortable?

Mine is polybushed throughout...it is sharper/tauter than the 110 pickup we have on standard bushing. Ride quality is always subjective, especially in a defender but I find mine perfectly acceptable and the wife/kids haven't complained about any overdue harshness.

Defenders can actually have quite a compliant ride with the correct spring rates. Especially 110's. The extra weight/wheelbase makes a big difference to ride quality. I imagine 130's are better again.. :)

Sorry, I was only messing. I love my wifes Defender, but I would never pretend it's a comfortable ride.

Genuine land rover bushes are metalastik and paddocks sell that brand at a cheaper price than genuine.

No they aren't. The only thing that you can be certain is genuine is GENUINE!!

Read my experience with the exact bushes you are talking about here

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=83997&page=2

Post 25 onwards is the meat of the discussion but it's all relevant. To summarise - the stuff paddocks sent was noticeably different quality to the parts I received in LR packets. Then I had a fairly long struggle to get a refund.

No they aren't. The only thing that you can be certain is genuine is GENUINE!!

Read my experience with the exact bushes you are talking about here

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=83997&page=2

Post 25 onwards is the meat of the discussion but it's all relevant. To summarise - the stuff paddocks sent was noticeably different quality to the parts I received in LR packets. Then I had a fairly long struggle to get a refund.

Cheers mate

I'd have bought the paddocks OEM ones and would have had an absolute fight to get them in.

I'll go genuine now too then.

Now I have a better picture I went to price original LR kit., This came to around £300.00. The paddock equivalent, what they call OE is £67.00.

As much as I would like to stick to LR original, I'm not sure I can afford it.

This was for;

2 NTC1772 bush rear

2 NTC1773 bush rear

2 NTC 9027 bush link mounting

2 STC618 mounting rubber

4 NTC6860 bush

4 NRC4514 bush