Now the owner of a L322 Autobiography.

reggie

Thought I'd share the news, I picked myself up a black 2003 4.4 V8 Autobiography last week. I seen it on ebay & felt sorry for it with its problems, so thought I'd rescue it into some loving hands.

It has 113k on it with FSH & it's fair share of issues but I got it for a steal so more than happy. Being the Autobiography & in the colour I wanted I couldn't resist & it is so nice to drive. I've wanted one of these ever since driving a few back in 2002.

Ok, well I don't have any pics yet so I promise I will get some up once I've got some. I'm just trying to figure out the issues with it. I bought it with a suspected gearbox fault, apparently the oil cooler is blocked & leaking but on further inspection the leak is engine oil. I think I've figured out where so need to sort that.

A helpfull chap over on ffatrr.com helped me out with some fault reading & we got two main faults. One was the gearbox selector switch, which is what triggers the "Trans fail safe prog" when you go to reverse from drive etc. That has then triggered "air suspension inactive" in the past but since clearing the code the suspension is ok for now. The other code given was "ambient temp sensor" & the car reads -40c outside.

I've also had the "trans overheat" on the way back from picking the car up & also "trans lowbox failure" The gearbox has been fine until Sunday after clearing codes it stuck in 2nd gear till I turned it off for 5mins.

The other thing of concern is fuel economy, now don't get me wrong I'm under no illusion that this was going to be anything else but a gas guzzler but it really does take the tiddle & not like I'm not used to running V8s. I have the RRC V8 & Last car was an audi Quattro 4.2V8 340 BHP that gave around 17mpg depending on if I drove it like it was stolen & that seems economical compared to this. I put £20 in the other day & only got around 20 miles, correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't I be getting more that that?

Gearbox selector switch was a problem on mine that started when it didn't get used for a while. After using it a lot more it seems to have stopped it. It is easy to get round on a temporary basis, just put key in ignition and turn on but not start the car, move selector to N. If it pings the failsafe turn it off leaving selector in N, and then turn back on again. Will now be fine unless you go from R to Park again. Annoyingly the part for this is not the same as the BMW part number as the cable is longer to allow the switch to be mounted higher up on the RR. I did wonder if taking it apart and a bit of contact cleaner might sort it though?

Mine does 19 to 20 on a run as long as you don't go over 75. Country and town driving 16 to 17 and town driving 10

Economical it is not!

Clear the MPG on the on board computer screen and try it again.

Gearbox selector switch was a problem on mine that started when it didn't get used for a while. After using it a lot more it seems to have stopped it. It is easy to get round on a temporary basis, just put key in ignition and turn on but not start the car, move selector to N. If it pings the failsafe turn it off leaving selector in N, and then turn back on again. Will now be fine unless you go from R to Park again. Annoyingly the part for this is not the same as the BMW part number as the cable is longer to allow the switch to be mounted higher up on the RR. I did wonder if taking it apart and a bit of contact cleaner might sort it though?

Mine does 19 to 20 on a run as long as you don't go over 75. Country and town driving 16 to 17 and town driving 10

Economical it is not!

Thanks that's useful info, will have to try that. I don't think it got used much before & I'm not using it much either. As for economy I could live with 16/17mpg. I tried to work it out, that £20 fuel is around 17 litres. Used an online calculator it tells me mine is doing 5.35 mpg

http://www.mpg-calculator.co.uk

Also without looking at the manual I don't know how to reset it or even reset the trip meter.

Trip resets like a normal car - is in the instrument panel on the RHS. Push and hold it in

Well that's what I thought but when I did that it came up something along the lines on "test" (dodgy pixels) on the display & nothing reset.