Shock lengths

Anderzander

on a S2/3 swb the front shocks are shorter than the rears. On an 80" they are all the same length, which also is the same length as the rear ones on a S2/3 swb. I run four of these on my 80". They are not a straight swap though! There's a difference in eye mounts. They are narrower on a S1 and the center pin through the bushing has a smaller ID. I fixed this with a piece of thin walled tube. If you look through my thread I'm pretty sure I put up some pics of this.

Hi Soren

I had some tubes tapped out some time ago to thread onto the S1 top mounts and take the later series shocks - hopefully I can find where I put them !

The original shocks were different front to back though. I checked against a couple of other 80's and the measurements came out to be :

Front:

Compressed 270

Extended 410

Rear:

Compressed 300

Extended 480

All the (expensive) replacement sets though were the same size front to back.

Good to know that you are happily running the rears though :)

Okay you should be well prepared then, if you find them that is :D you say thread onto the stock mounts, does that mean they will stick out further from,the chassis? I just slid some thin-walled tubing over them and cut a bit of material off the bushings on the S2/3 shocks so I could fit them with stock S1 hardware. You will have the same problem on the spring plates too, they are also both a bit too narrow and to small a diameter for the newer shocks. But yeah it is nice to have these on instead as it gives a broader selection if shocks. I run Monroe gas ones

That is helpful thanks - I'm looking at fitting later series shocks to my 80" to keep the costs down a little.

I have a pair of virtually new standard series shocks that are left over if you want them - I think they are standard armstrong ones.

You are welcome to them if you have someway of getting them from Oxford to you!

Thanks

Jon

Just had a look through my old orders - I think they are fronts not rears, and they may be britpart not armstrong (paddock didn't quote a manufacturer and I don't have them to hand at the moment to check)..

You are still welcome to them though - let me know!

I'm a bit of being ready to fit them - so can hold on until they either come to hand for you or I am able to take some measurements on the 80" ?

I'm going to put a 200tdi in and may need some chunky bump stops to deal with the front crank pulley.