wiring diagram 200tdi starter switch

Refer to my diagram in from this thread

No connection[at terminal 1, nearest steering wheel]

Brown [batt 12v feed to terminal 2 @ 12o'clock position]

White [to terminal 3]

White/Red [to terminal 4]

White/black [to terminal 5]

White/orange [not connected as it becomes live -- for accessory/air conditioning-- when ignition switch to position 2 glowplug/pre spring loaded start section of switch]

Note -- above info only for a ex-2.5TD engined vehicle that's been converted to a 200Tdi engine. But might be useful for 2.5n/a to 200Tdi if you fit the glowplug timer relay & associated wiring.

hope that helps, :i-m_so_happy:

Edited by western

• 1 year later...

post-1003-1210694766_thumb.jpg

Just looking over NAD ex MOD 90 that im getting ready for MOT...

Ignition switch was disconnected when I got it...

I see western's diagram, but am being stupido... Switch has numbers on the back next to each terminal, and as its not in the vehicle I dont know which is supposed to be where...

I have drawn the switch with numbers... Anyone care to put the correct switch numbers to western's diagram? 1 and 5 are the only ones with large terminals, rest are thin...

the thick brown/red is the glow plug feed and on my 110 [ex-TD] was on terminal 1 [large], I don't have any more info for the 2.5n/a ign switch.

the switch part should have a indent in the outer edge, the ignition body on the column has a small screw that locates in the indent & therefore orientates the electrical part of the ignition switch.

hth :D

Thanks for the quick response, I have redrawn the switch as per your notes, however on my vehicle brown is also a large spade.

ON THE SWITCH Terminals 1 and 5 both have big spades...that would put brown with a large female on a small male (oooo err Missus)

Should I forget the actual numbers and rotate the switch so that the indent is at a certain position?

post-1003-1210698087_thumb.jpgpost-1003-1210698094_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
Refer to my diagram in from this thread

White [to terminal 3]

White/orange [not connected as it becomes live -- for accessory/air conditioning-- when ignition switch to position 2 glowplug/pre spring loaded start section of switch]

Note -- above info only for a ex-2.5TD engined vehicle that's been converted to a 200Tdi engine. But might be useful for 2.5n/a to 200Tdi if you fit the glowplug timer relay & associated wiring.

hope that helps, :i-m_so_happy:

So Nothing on #1?

And am confused by the white/orange not being connected?

I have a 4 pin ignition from a 1985 2.5 petrol that had A/C at one point, and am changing to a 5 pin for a diesel 200tdi conversion.

what I have:

1)Thick brown

2)big white

Brown/orange

Small white

3) white/red

4)Brown/Orange

I started to just swap numbers to match above, but thinking this is wrong.

Pics of the 2 switches side by side, and I hope the 1-5 are clear on the last one.

Thanks

post-6197-1244288468_thumb.jpg

post-6197-1244288515_thumb.jpg

post-6197-1244288541_thumb.jpg

post-6197-1244288562_thumb.jpg

post-6197-1244288596_thumb.jpg

what I have:

1)Thick brown

2)big white

Brown/orange

Small white

3) white/red

4)Brown/Orange

Brown - from battery to starter soleniod

White - 12v feeds [ignition controlled] add the small white here too

Brown/Orange trace - to fuse box to supply the green wires

White/Red trace - to start relay

the actaul tag locations should be on the attachment in my reply above.

• 1 month later...
1 used to be the glowplug feed brown/red thick wires, the white/orange is air con feed if fitted, it becomes live as stated above & I use mine to feed 12v to my rev counter.

So if I'm going to use a glowplug, connect it to #1?

:blink: I have totally made a mess of mine and currently speedo not functioning. Is the wiring the same as a td5 110 99 MY truck? Ignition turns alright but the light systems are jammed! :blink:

What are you wanting to do Dan ?

fit the Td5 instrument pack ?

if yes all the wiring info is in the wibbly wobbly speedo thread, most of the wire colour codings match up to the older existing wiring.

• 2 months later...

I finally got around to putting my Ignition switch in, replacing a 4 pin with 5 pin

I'm wondering what each wire color I have is for?

1)Thick brown=

2)big white=

Brown/orange=

Small white=

3) white/red=

4)Brown/Orange=

It seems to be working, but I havent hooked up the glow plug timer.

It also seems all the terminals are hot when the key is on.

I have a 4 pin ignition from a 1985 2.5 petrol that had A/C at one point, and am changing to a 5 pin for a diesel 200tdi conversion.

what I have:

1)Thick brown

2)big white

Brown/orange

Small white

3) white/red

4)Brown/Orange

Pics of the 2 switches side by side, and I hope the 1-5 are clear on the last one.

Thanks

for info & future reference numbers relate to my drawing above -----

White [to terminal 3]

from my earlier reply & link above

I did follow your previous advice, but i'm still not sure its correct.

It may be because I have a newer style 5 pin ignition, but probably its because I'm an idiot.

Mine has 4 key positions

Off

1 the accessories work

2 nothing happens but one of the unused spades on the back becomes hot, would I have to hold it on position 2 to power the glowplugs?

3 truck starts

I'm wondering if this is the way it should be?

Thanks

what I have:

1)Thick brown

2)big white

Brown/orange

Small white

3) white/red

4)Brown/Orange

Thanks

Off

1 the accessories work

2 nothing happens but one of the unused spades on the back becomes hot, would I have to hold it on position 2 to power the glowplugs?

3 truck starts

my ign switch is a 5 terminal version too,

the terminal 1 is the old TD glowplug connection, you need to leave this disconnected & safely terminated to prevent damage.

what you have above looks correct, as the TD glowplugs need the key holding in position prior to starting at pos 2.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Yall

So I've got most of my wiring back together (also I left it all sitting over winter and a bird built a nest in the dash, incorporating the wiring loom :blink: ) Unfortunatly I wasn't the one to pull all the wires off the ignition barrell and have no idea which way round they re attach to the 5 pins. Looks like the original wires so colours should be correct.

Anyone have a diagram or some good wisdom?

Thanks