Way find out factory options/spec for Disco 1?

WesBrooks

Hi All,

Thanks for your previous help! I'm now a card carrying member with a '95 Disco V8i Auto. She's mechanically sound but suffers a bit of rot as can be expected for a donor level purchase.

It is apparent that the wiring has been modded and it would help if there was a way to know what this was fitted with from the factory so I know which bits I need to go through very carefully to check out. Failing this I will go through everything easily accessable to make sure there are no other bodges waiting to fail in a nasty way!

Odd things spotted so far is choc-block connector (not a particually high current size) behind the 12V cigarrette lighter on the centre console and the trailer warning light on the dash board flashes in time with the indicator. There is a trailer power socket on the back, but no towball.

Cheers,

Wes.

Trailer indicator flashing would be normal if a trailer was plug in, and only once when it isn't, u may have a short in the trailer socket so take it apart clean and grease, if still the same u maven have a faulty or incorrect flasher relay fitted.

A sales brochure will give u the spec and options for your model year of disco, they can be found on e bay, now and again.

Any particular things other than described got your attention? Chocblock is bodgy but better than the old twist and tape method that I have encountered though!

I cut loads of rubbish wiring and poorly executed relay fittings out of my D1 through the course of my rebuild, added a few new items but fitted to my own exacting standards(just above "that'll do" :rofl:).

I completely rewired my 300Tdi for the same reasons, the Disco wiring harness was assembled to include the full spectrum of factory options as future "plug-ins" such as heated windscreen, front and rear A/C, front & rear electric sun roofs, adjustable headlights, heated side mirrors, six disc stereos, electric side mirrors, heated seats, electric adjustable seats ---- the list goes on and on :blink: by rewiring it I reduced the original harness by some 70%

Sounds like this is far from unusual! With the choc block it was more that it was a small one and the gauge of wire on the light side too. Dashboard has been moved about a bit so just figuring things out.

Looks to me like the drivers side electric window switch was slightly smaller gauge than the others which struck me as odd, but it looks neatly done. Perhaps smaller just because it's closer? As for the factory spec I'm unsure if the drivers airbag was supposed to be on my car or not? I was thinking that had it of had a tap at the front which had set it of it may have got removed when rebuilt for simplicity. Finally a couple of the online guides talk about an audible warning if the transfer box was in neutral. Not heard any pings from the dash yet! Perhaps these were lost when the aftermarket radio found it's way in?

It appears to be a entry level spec which suits my needs as a potential sahara donor perfectly. Just sorting out the basics as well as I can to make it as reliable motor as reasonably possible.

Thanks for your help!

The cigar lighter socket wires on a 200Tdi are a rather fine gauge too, it could be that the wires were cut to extend power elsewhere in the car and simply reconnected with chocblock?

Do you have an SRS lamp on the dash? Is there also an airbag for passenger or just a jesus bar? Could be a simple steering wheel swap executed with wrong type?

Thanks for confirming that. One less thing that I think has been disturbed or tinkered with which is great!

I seem to remember when my Mum got a Renaut 5 about the same time (ok, very different league of spend!) as this was made Airbags weren't quite standard fitment. Available on most cars but optional on all apart from top level trims. Much like the ABS.

No SRS lamp, but since buying it I noticed the instrument cover is loose so I had a mild panic that I could have been tricked by someone removing bulbs for dead accessories! Thankfully that doesn't seem to be the case. Jesus bar on the passenger side so looking more like a non airbag model.

Must say I don't have any reason to suspect the seller of doing that - your mind just tends to find the nasty possibilities!

I sure u know the difference in a flat non SRS steering wheel and raised one equipped with an air bag and which will have SRS stamped on it.

Think we're talking at cross purposes here. I know the steering wheel in the car isn't airbag - there is no SRS stamp and a horn press in the middle - it just wasn't made clear in the Haynes manual that the airbag was an option. I was originally concerned that the car originally had an airbag and one of the previous owners had removed it and defeated the SRS warning light. This could of meant the car had been involved in a non-recorded front end accident or simply they didn't want the cost of replacing it after 10 years. Likewise if it had have been removed there was possibly some more wiring nasties to find and check through around the steering coloum.

It's looking like the car was a basic V8i Auto spec; no ABS, no aircon, no airbags, no electric sunroofs, but did have electric windows.

Shame there's no spec list linked to the vin number. Tried land rovers topix system but it got very confused!

Was remote unlock / lock an option rather than standard too?

Electric windows along with central locking, alarm and immobiliser are standard on the 300 series what ever level of spec the vehicle is in the UK.

If you can find any wiring incased in yellow sleeving, that is for SRS, the SRS ECU will be positioned below the centre cubby box if the system was fitted.