heatshrink

davidharvey

I dont know if the largest ones in here would do:

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage-equipment/auto-electrical-supplies/halfords-assorted-heat-shrink-tubing-hbb103#tab1

I have this kit - when you say 35mm, that's not the diameter is it? If its normal battery cable, then i think this kit will do you from memory (that's if the bits are long enough).

I dont know if the largest ones in here would do:

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage-equipment/auto-electrical-supplies/halfords-assorted-heat-shrink-tubing-hbb103#tab1

I have this kit - when you say 35mm, that's not the diameter is it? If its normal battery cable, then i think this kit will do you from memory (that's if the bits are long enough).

am guessing it must be the circumference, hadn't really thought about it before now, but that's the heavy duty battery cable size.

Cable sizing is a mystery i need to solve one of those days

Thanks for the link, even if there is nothing suitable it will be handy for the other wiring I have planned

35mm is actually 35 square milimeters, the area of the cross-section, so about 7-8mm diameter, plus the insulation, being battery cable this is normally quite thick, so add on a couple of mm each side, gets you to 12mm, so your heatshrink only needs to be a bit bigger than this -make sure you put it on before you crimp.... ;)

I do have that Halfrauds kit (was on offer), but not sure whether it had what would be needed, you'd need to check.

you can also get clear/adhesive lined clear which is useful for shrinking over printed labels to keep them on the cables and still be readable.

edit: there are also different shrink ratios 1:2 or 1:3 and even 1:4 the price goes up as the ratio goes up, but is sometimes useful if you have fitted a terminal and need to heatshrink afterwards. i.e 12mm will shrink to 4mm wire.

have also got some 6:1 ratio clear heat shrink from rs which was not too expensive .fantastic stuff as it will go over most fittings and shink down over after

.They are clear and resin lined and are about 50 mm long and come in 2 sizes @20 mm dia and @15mm diaand come in a pack of 100?

cant remeber the code and cant seem to get it up on screen

let me know if you need more info