300Tdi, to scrap or sell, that is the question.

PoddyP

My 300Tdi (S reg) has finally been beaten by the Mot Man....or eaten by the rust bug... don't know which is worse really. Anyway, I'm looking to sell it as it's been well looked after over the years I've had it, it's only done 176,00 miles and I put a Turner Eng. head on it no more 20,000 miles ago as the original cracked. I put heavy duty springs and shocks on it and polybushed it when I got it about 6 years ago and it's got bf goodrich all terrains, two of which have a reasonable amount of wear before needing to be replaced. I did some welding on it last year for the MOT on the rear wheel arches and the left chassis where there was a hole, but this year it got a load of advisories and 4 or 5 necessary places where welding was needed. It probably really needs replacement sills and wheel arches. From what I can see, the body mounts are still in good nick so if someone was prepared to put the effort in, it could still be a road going vehicle. I'm too old and knackered to be bothered with it anymore so I bought a Td5.... It starts first time every time, even without waiting for the glow plugs to warm things up. I have loads of spares with it, alternators (2) , a radiator (brand new) filters galore, seals coming out of my ears, swivel ball repair kit, wheel bearings etc etc. I've also just serviced it (oil, filters, gearbox oil, transfer box oil and rear diff oil). Just had a new heated screen fitted as well!. Right, if you've managed to wade through that lot, here's the question, would it be worth more to try and sell it as is, or would I be better off scrapping it and selling off the good parts? answers on a postcard to..... only joking.... seriously, any advice would be appreciated... one way or another, it has to go!!

Some parts that you have spent a lot of money, (and time), fitting can make you think the car is worth more, but such as the windscreen, you wouldn't buy a car without a windscreen, the head, again time and money goes into replacing it, but a Discovery without a head. Running any vehicle cost money and most parts are consumables after a set time or mileage.

You have 3 options, first sell the parts which may result in more money than the car is worth but over a long period. Second, sell the Land Rover as is for not much money, (just look around at Discos with 12 month ticket for less than £800.00). And your last choice, weld the car up, new mot and get the price you think it's worth.

ha ha, good advice for sure guys.... I was probably hoping for some divine answer that would put a smile on my face, one way or another... :D ah well, given the fact I've no spare time anyway, I think I'll sell it as is, and definitely sell the spares separately ;) thanks for the replies :)

I've reached that point as well, with the exception mine will have at least 6 months left on if it goes in June as I'm planning.

I admit i do enjoy the welding, problem solving and all thoe other minor irritations that come with landy ownership but I've a load of other jobs on at home and a little girl who'd probably like to see more of daddy than is feet sticking out from underneath this summer.

I'm going for selling though, the AT grabbers have a load of tread on them and the other assorted bits I've added would no doubt fetch more, but it does mean that I've have a shell slowly disappearing off the drive and i'd rather have the room for the replacement.

And as for the replacement bus, well I'd love a Defender but they've no safety features and as much as I love them they are horrible to drive. Then if I'm honest, I dont need the cargo space anymore and the road tax is also something I'd rather not be giving to the government so I may well be bowing out of Landy ownership.

And as for the replacement bus, well I'd love a Defender but they've no safety features and as much as I love them they are horrible to drive. Then if I'm honest, I dont need the cargo space anymore and the road tax is also something I'd rather not be giving to the government so I may well be bowing out of Landy ownership.

This I think is becoming a big part of the dying trend, shame really, but then again, I can't blame you, a Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCI getting 65mpg and far cheaper tax is very inviting in these times! I remember the vans we had were £35/yr to tax back in 08 :o