How long is a D90 ? I think I measured it 16 cm longer than a D90. That's before I mounted the 2 inch receiver in the rear cross-member. I also measured the overhang in the rear to be 10 cm less than the D90.

Is 386cm a sensible meassure ?

Almost there. Had to take the car to an inspection today, worked all night to get done. I have a few things on my list that should have been done , but none of them made it on the inspectors list.

Checked the weight on the front axle before the inspection. 1200kg. That could be a problem, cause that's the limit..

Then I found that there is some leek in the fuel tank when I'm driving. Either it's because there is a small hole in the back of the tank, or, it could be the diesel return, or the Pump Fuel unit, or the gasket, or ...

And then there is the wheel guard. I knew it, but totaly forgot about it. I should have mounted som mud-flaps. But there was no time, and it wasn't on my list (Ses Wheel arch Law, post 36)

Here is how it looked after the inspection. The tires are 235/70-16, on rims with -15mm offset, and 30mm spacers. And Terrafirma TF216TUV(?) suspension.

img_06921.jpg

img_06931.jpg

Another big thing in Norway is getting the winch into the document for the car. I never asked, but the inspector liked my "winch-bumper", and told me that he added that one in the papers as well...

I got my license plates back.

img_07091.jpg

Now all I have to do is to make it Race Ready :)

Replace the front winch with a new one from GoodWinch

Mount second winch from GoodWinch in the back

Mount High Capasity Sump for the centre differential.

General service.

Change some tyres.

Fix some eletrical gremlins.

Consider the weather for Poland next week, and decide if the Heater motor needs to be replaced.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we made it to Poland, and we made it back. During last weekend of April, I put another serious amount of hours work in the car, I took the day of from work on Tuesday, moved the batteries into the rear of the cab, and wired up the new winches. Wednesday morning, We loaded up 3 35" tires in the pickupbed, and 3 more into the trailer, together with a spare for the trailer (and same as the wheels on the car), some more baggage, strapped it all up, put some more back in the car, and set of.

2 ferries, and 800klm later, we arrived at camp around noon. We thought we had a wheel bearing problem, but turned out, it was only some loose wheel nuts. 5 actually. On one wheel...

We had some food, then started final preparations:

- Changing from legal road-wheels to more usefull 35"M/T

- spooling on the new rope to both whinches

- take out all extra trash from the cab, only leaving something to drink, first-aid kit and a few other extras

- put a spare tire in the pikcup bed, and 2 alu-boxes with necescities

- some water tight bags with a couple of drysuits

We left the car at around 11pm and went to bed

post-21003-0-84471200-1431088598_thumb.jpg

It was a bit hectic.

We started with some breakfast 6:30 in the morning, then set off at around 7:15.

Soon we were told that the front left flexible wheel arch was loose. (the arches was fastened with 3-4 screws each).

2015-05-01_11_12_25.jpg

At the time of that photo, we were lost, I think the guys in the car in behind was lost as well, but I'm not sure.

At a time, we were 15-20 cars who were lost, and we called for help to get back on track.

We got lost a couple of more times, but suddenly, we were on track again..

Had a fuel filter that refused to let any more fuel through at some point. Actually, it was a pre-filter, a cheap one, and a new more proper was in place, so it was just a matter of switching filter. When I switched filter, we also remembered to have a bite to eat. The only time on the track we remembered.

52-295_s_1.jpg vs 13170-20.jpg

We drove until around 23:00, and then headed back to our room at the campsite. we were there a bit before midnight.

Next morning, the kitchen-personnel overslept, so we did not get breakfast until nearly 7:00.

A bit more winching this day

2015-05-02_08_37_03.jpg

2015-05-02_15_33_05.jpg

2015-05-02_18_00_59.jpg

We drove a lot together with the overall winners (and Adventure class winners, or more correctly, we were at the same point several times.

2015-05-02_16_32_44.jpg

2015-05-02_16_36_31.jpg

One of the things I like about Pomerania Trophy is driving in the night, finding the ways from the roadbook.

On Saturday, we drove until we was completely lost at where we was, and we was not able to find the way past a certain point.

We thought we were on track, but suddenly found that we were on a special foto track.

2015-05-02_22_42_57.jpg

2015-05-02_22_48_08.jpg

We finished as number 13 in our class (Adventure), of 20. There were 5 more cars that had taken more points than us, so 18 of 35 starters.

Not bad, considering that the car was more like a regular Disco1, some 9 weeks before, and I've kept both my marriage and day job (I think).

We're planning on Croatia for next year, although there is some more work to put in the car before that. And for next year, the deadline is that the car should be ready by mid January, if we finally decide on Croatia.

There is still a lot to do on the car, but will have to slow down a bit. I hope to be kind of done to the annual Norwegian Land Rover Club gathering, and then only some reinforcement of the drivegear (halfshafts and such), during fall and winter. Race preparation next year, should be normal service, and servicing some tow truck of some kind. We wont drive to Croatia on our wheels, with a trailer, like we've done to Poland (first time with a trailer this year)

post-21003-0-01536100-1431330232_thumb.jpg

Last photo taken from the "restaurant" at IKEA south of Göteborg, Sweden, on the way down.

Ran out of diesel yesterday. It was planned, I even turned to the side, to let the car behind me pass, and then the engine halted. I managed to start it again, but I was not able to get up the first hill. So I rolled back to the bus-stop, and filled 20 litres I had in a tank in the back. Then I drove 5km and filled up the tank. I filled up 24.55 litres, so I have effectively 44 litres i can use in the tank.

Maybe I can level the tank a bit, and squeeze some more out of it, but I'm satisfied. With a lot more welding, and by that possibly a lot more leaks, I could have gotten some extra litres, but I dont think it's worth the hazzle.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...

We went to Pomerania this year as well. For the first time with the car on a trailer, behind the D2, the family car.

2016-04-28 12.43.42.jpg

Finished second in the Sports class, but there was only 3 teams. There was a lot more teams in the Adventure class, and we wouldn't finish on second place in that class, but we would have finished top 10. I think there was ~30 teams in the adventure class. The car drove well, But we had some problems with the tyres. Old 35 inch Wrangler Duratrac was not the best in the mud. My co-pilot was also exhausted after the driving on Friday, so there was no night driving this year. I made a new  rule for my self on the Saturday, to not use higher than 3rd gear in the woods. So all in all, we were satisfied.

After that, I replaced the tyres with 255/85R16 BFG KM2. I've been 2, actually 3 times at Rena (450 km one way), east, but still south in Norway, with driving in some "rocky roads" using the new tyres.

In July, me and my wife took the car up north. First stop was in Bardu 1750km from home , at the Annual gathering for The Norwegian Land Rover Club. Then we made a short trip up to Nordkapp 1300 km roundtrip from Bardu, during 29 hours.

m-0-dsc01004.jpg

I also tested a new co-pilot during a local 24 hour trophy, but finished after ~13 hours. First we broke a rear half shaft on the second track. Then there was an accident on the road home, Not us, we took the time (1-2 hours) to get a Jeep out of a track. He first got stuck we got him loose, then he got stuck again. And so one. Also, since I only had the front axle working, I had  limited possibility to get into the track, to get better angles on getting him loose. After 2-2½ hours we drove home (~1 hour drive), replaced the half-shaft, ate some dinner, before driving back to the competition.

m-2016-08-13_18_34_16.jpg

We then did 4 or 5 other tracks until we snapped the winch rope.

l-2016-08-13_23_29_55.jpg

We got some help getting loose, and decided to give up at ~2am.  We also bent the front bumper, so then I had a new project.

l-2016-08-14_12_20_21.jpg

I also had to fix the wraparound for the right headlight (not sure if that is nearside or offside?). It actually broke in may, 2 days before MOT, but I fixed it temporarily. I got a quote on the wraparounds from Bolt-On-Bits, but decided to use my new selfmade in mild steel.

Edited by finnarne

Well the front bumper is already done.

First some pictures from the headlight wraparound (or what to call it)

s-2016-08-15_20_20_52.jpg

Some weeks/months later, and it already got som paint on

s-20161123_224618.jpg

Then I started on the bumper

m-2016-11-24_19_53_20.jpg

m-2016-11-30_20_04_21.jpg

Old and new bumper side by side

m-2016-12-11_12_02_42.jpg

The old one, which actually is wats left of the original bumper wight in at 8 kg. The new one waighs 15kg. The winch sits mounted in the steering guard, as far back as possible to get lesser wight on the front axle.

And the final result

m-2016-12-11_14_01_25.jpg

• 1 year later...

I was way overdue with MOT this year, should have been in in May, but I choose ignore the date, and do some driving during the summer. We automaticly get a 2 months extension on the MO, so everything was fine when I got back from The Danish LRC gathering by the end of July. Everything except my chassis, and some inner wings..

m-2018-09-04_15_43_55.jpgm-2018-09-04_15_44_06.jpg

The chassis was fixed before MOT, but I left the innerwings stuff for later. The guys at the workshop was not pleased with my inner wings, but failed the MOT because of some other issues. Rusty body mount in the left side front, and they "claimed" that the brake pipes was not properly fixed on the right hand innerwing. So back again, I started to strip the front wings, and was planing on doing a lot of welding on the old inner wings.

m-2018-09-16_16_03_27.jpgm-2018-09-18_20_25_41.jpgm-2018-09-18_20_24_29.jpg

After some more use of wire brush, and thinking , I decided to order som new panels from http://froggatts.co.uk

Today 25 Kg of steel arrived at my office. Good delivery from Froggatts and TNT.

m-2018-10-02_12_10_46.jpg

I think I'll take a few days of now.

• 1 year later...

The last MOT went fine in 2018, but now it's 2020, and The Bee was due for a new MOT in the end of May.

But I knew I needed to do some more work on the chassis, so the work was postponed. I should have gone to Sweden to do some serious greenlaning at the end of April, but due to Covid this was cancelled, and was again canceled for us this weekend, as most traveling is cancelled.

The car has been neglected since May, and I finally took some days of to do the work on the chassis at the end of August. But when I took out the flooring in the back of the car, I realized  that it would take some mor days to get it to pass the MOT. Short story, I removed the body to do what I should have done 5 years ago.

m-2020-08-28_18_56_08.jpg

Some nights later, and the body is placed "in storage" outside my garage.

20200902_214455.thumb.jpg.0b507c03baec73

Now it's time to clean the chassis

m-2020-08-28_21_16_16.jpg

It will be cleaned, fixed, painted and then conserved with fluid film.

And the transfer case is to be rebuilt, and the main gearbox. And clutch will be replaced with a new one.

And the body will get som work done as well. Not sure I will manage to get all done within weeks, but I hope to get the body onto the chassis before snow falls. (some time between middle of October and middle of April).

But I was thinking of maybe replacing the chassis. Maybe I will think more of this when I start to clean the chassis during this weekend, but who can deliver a new Discovery1 chassis ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, finnarne said:

I should have gone to Sweden to do some serious greenlaning at the end of April, but due to Covid this was cancelled, and was again canceled for us this weekend, as most traveling is cancelled.

Is that with a club? Sounds fun to join someday if I'm in Sweden :)

• 2 weeks later...