Defender Drive Way?

Mutley

i would suggest used 3x2 slabs, cheaper - already weathered so dont look so in your face and thicker than rubbish 2x2 on market.

good pressure wash once down and can look great.

definetly not skimping on foundation for them makes a lot of difference, oh and mate or two to help as they properly heavy

As I understand it, slab on hardcore is OK, it's solid concrete that is the issue - a hard standing is not regarded as a permanent structure and so planning isn't required, but a solid surface is permanent so needs planning permission.

The link I gave is about water run off not whether is is permanent or not.

Concrete slabs with water draining off your property requires planning permission if over 5m sq (unless the slabs are special porous type), if they drain on to your own land then planning permission is not required.

If that's the case i should be safe as sadly the drive slopes towards the house, and there is no chance of sloping it the other way as it would mean the drive would start half way up the front window ;)

As said above its the base that will make real difference to whether or not the slabs crack. The same goes for a concrete slab as well unless you reinforce it.

A hard-core sub-base properly compacted with a hired whacker plate would be where I would start.

Once you have a level sub-base you need a sand blinding layer to bed the slabs on, lean mix dry sand and cement is good as it doesn't move once set.

I would be surprised if a two inch slab would crack laid on that, problems arise when the material under the slab washes away and the slab ends up bridging the gap.

I didn't know the bit about planning and exceeding 5m2, although it makes sense as you're responsible for all surface water from hard areas on a property if it causes someone else grief.

You could go to the trouble of digging a soak away if you're so inclined to deal with surface water.

Personally I would steer clear of permeable paving. Firstly it's sensitive to frost heave and secondly I've not seen it stay permeable for many years anyway as it gets blocked up.

If that's the case i should be safe as sadly the drive slopes towards the house, and there is no chance of sloping it the other way as it would mean the drive would start half way up the front window ;)

Sounds like you are OK with planning permission regards to drainage, but you might want to think about drainage to stop run off water flooding your house ;)

Zardos, we were flooded 4 years ago! Live nowhere near a river! Heavy rain and water running off the fields behind us,about 6 off us on the estate had water damage, not nice so no fears of decent drainage and soak away not being put in! Dont ever want to go through that again!