Discovery 300Tdi front brake pads, how to improve?

o_teunico

Hi,

A friend needs to change the front brake pads in his Disco 300. Is out there any particular make or type of pads that will give more braking power? Maybe some type of softer compound?

We are not going to change the calipers or discs, just the pads.

Thanks.

It may be psychological but I found EBC Greenstuff pads seemed a little better than others like Mintex (for example). However, as I said, that could be because the box said they were better?! They did tend to squeak later in use too.

Since the deletion of asbestos in brake pad material all brake pads IMHO seem to have reduced efficiency, unless you go to expensive ceramics which only become efficient when heated to extraordinary limits, I don't think that there is a great deal of difference between makes. Changing the callipers to give a greater surface area would seem to be the only solution.

I had a 300 tdi disco and the brakes were rubbish. I fitted the EBC grooved discs and greenstuff pads. They were even worse. I stuck with it in the hope they would improve but they never did. It would not even lock the wheels on gravel. In the end it would appear that the pads/discs were not the problem. I tried a new master cylinder but that did not improve anything either. That axle now lives under the front of my 110, which during the rebuild, had fitted vented discs and 110 (TD5) callipers (new genuine), a new OE mater cylinder, a new uprated Bearmach Servo, and all new brake lines/hoses. The brakes have been fantastic since the rebuild so I can only conclude that the problem was with something other than the pads & discs and master cylinder. Good luck, but maybe try changing the callipers first :-)

I had problems with my brakes a few months back on my '99 D1 as I they were working poorly and I was getting some shuddering. I tried to replace brake pads and I found that the caliper cylinders were really hard to push back and figured out they were rusting. I ended up replacing both front calipers and rotors with new as well as new pads. It made a very big difference to the brakes! I should have done it long ago ! I replaced all the brake fluid too.

Just a thought O_tuenico but how old is the brake fluid ??? Often overlooked but it should be replaced every 3 years max, normally every 2 years. If it has a high water content it wont perform well, try changing it you may well be surprised at the difference.

You can buy a little inexpensive electronic device (try EBay) to tell you the moisture content of your brake fluid, I got mine from the local auto accessories store, it works wonders and tells you when your fluid is at its change by date.

• 2 weeks later...