Halfords Antifreeze guide

reb78

This is what Halfords say the Discovery TD5 needs:

http://www.halfords.com/motoring-travel/engine-oils-fluids/antifreeze/halfords-silicate-antifreeze-concentrate-2-litres

Can someone confirm that this is actually wrong?

They then say that the 90 and 110 TD5 engines need the same as the link above, but the 130 TD5 needs this:

http://www.halfords.com/motoring-travel/engine-oils-fluids/antifreeze/halfords-oat-antifreeze-concentrate-5-litres

Its all the same engine!!! I can see a few folks mixing different sorts of antifreeze given that this is what is written on the sheets in the stores.

I bought the OAT in the last link for my disco not the silicate antifreeze the recomended in store.

This is my concern ^^^

They state silicate for the TD5 - we know thats wrong, but how many folks will go in there and pick it up using their guide and then mix it without thinking? I did mention it to the person at the desk, but i think it fell on deaf ears - the guide sheets must be the same across all halfords shops too.

I believe the OAT is for 1998/Td5 onwards, the older Ethelyne Glycol based stuff (silicate they are calling it now) is for Tdi and earlier.

I was always told it was pink and blue correspondingly, but apparently colours vary by manufacturer.

Thanks. I dont know why they have to keep changing the names. The use of the word silicate confused me! I bought OAT and used that.

Recently I purchased some Elf brand antifreeze for a vehicle that uses OAT antifreeze. The pack claims it is OAT, but also claims to be suitable for all vehicles and able to mix with all antifreezes. It is green in colour. They also sell a pink OAT type for Volkswagens and Audis. It does seem a bit confusing.

Prestone , which is a fluro green in colour will mix with any other anti freeze . The oat type antifreeze can be retrofitted to earlier engines, and gives better protection to aluminium components, but make sure all the ethyline glycol based antifreeze has been flushed out . HTSH