Defender bulb numbers ?

I may be mistaken, but believe that only the headlights and other lights with a focussed beam are E-marked or required to be E-marked. Certainly a quick check of my spare bulb set only showed the headlamp Halogens carrying an E-mark. If that is the general case, then under construction and use regulations, LEDs can be used as bulb replacements except in headlamps. The only issue may be light output, though the construction and use regulations used to specify maximum wattage for tail and brake lights rather than lumens.

If I feel particularly nerdy tomorrow, I may take a tail light bulb out of the Skoda tomorrow and inspect it - it has the original manufacturers fitted bulbs in all the lights.

I may be mistaken, but believe that only the headlights and other lights with a focussed beam are E-marked or required to be E-marked. Certainly a quick check of my spare bulb set only showed the headlamp Halogens carrying an E-mark. If that is the general case, then under construction and use regulations, LEDs can be used as bulb replacements except in headlamps. The only issue may be light output, though the construction and use regulations used to specify maximum wattage for tail and brake lights rather than lumens.

If I feel particularly nerdy tomorrow, I may take a tail light bulb out of the Skoda tomorrow and inspect it - it has the original manufacturers fitted bulbs in all the lights.

That's not what the man from the ministry of transport told me. I was told not LED's at all into a tungston lamp holder. Aparently the colours are wrong >>>>

That's not what the man from the ministry of transport told me. I was told not LED's at all into a tungston lamp holder. Aparently the colours are wrong >>>>

Not doubting that's what you were told, but that sounds and smells like bullsh**. Typical of government minor official - caught out without a definitive answer and yet needed to sound as if he knew.

I defy anyone to tell the diference between LED and tungsten lighting when fitted behind a red tail/stop light or amber indicator filter. The whole point of a filter is to only let the required colour light out. You can even buy LED bulbs of equivalent colour temperature to tungsten (2700K) to fit behind clear lenses if you are prepared to look around.

PS - no E marking on the factory fitted tail light of my Skoda.

I think the issue, and I could be wrong (just ask my wife :hysterical: ) is not the colour but the lens is designed for the beam,filament placing etc. of a filament lamp, an LED will have a different focus and that may be an issue.

Just a thought!

Cheers

Peter

I wouldn't have thought that "focus" would have come into side/ tail lights

I have the Wipac versions in my 86 90 along with the adjustable relay with no issues. The only thing I did find was that I had to re-adjust the relay the first time I plugged the trailer electrics in as it wouldn't flash the trailer indicators, once altered it was fine with or without the trailer.

These are interesting Western. Have you fitted them?

Does anyone know if the LED indicator version would cause the fast flashing issue you get when you put in LED bulbs on a 1986 Ninety?

No, I still have the standard lights, but have been thinking about changing to led units.

the flasher relay gets replaced with one suitable & adjustable to get the flash rate correct.