Prepping a 200tdi -Turbo - is it knackered and how do I get it off

Evening all

Sorry about the title. Bloody iPad has it's own mind sometimes and this time it seems it was happy with that title and posted the thread for me!

Anyhow ...

I've got a 200tdi engine I bought off here a little while ago and just got started on tidying it ready to put in my truck this summer.

First job is to sort out the Turbo (ETC7461) because I take it any sideways movement when you get hold of the fins is a bad thing.

So how do you get the ruddy thing off.

There are 4 1/2inch bolts and none of them move.

I've got them soaking in penetrating oil but is it usual to have to use heat on these bolts

I've also got a hole at the top rear of the engine block, just behind the fuel lift pump which is full of silicone. Any ideas what was previously in this hole and why it might just have been bodged like this..

Lastly. It's a 13L engine but has already been prepped for a defender. I take it there were no significant differences with these engines because of them being Disco auto engines originally.

Any gotchas I should be looking out for?

13L01668A is the number on the block. Does this mean it isn't a 200tdi ?

Are there other identifying features of a 200tdi I can check ?

Good news on the turbo maybe.

There is no push/pull movement

I'd estimate the sideways movement at about 1mm each way.

13L01668A is the number on the block. Does this mean it isn't a 200tdi ?

Are there other identifying features of a 200tdi I can check ?

Good news on the turbo maybe.

There is no push/pull movement

I'd estimate the sideways movement at about 1mm each way.

just found there is a 13L 200tdi it's from a auto trans Discovery, wasn't aware that the engine serial number had a different prefix, found it in this engine number list http://www.glencoyne.co.uk/engno.htm

1mm sideways movement is far too much, the bearings are kaput, a replacement "cassette" is the easy go, then in time get the existing one re-built as a possible long term spare.

Removal of the four bolts is a real hassle as these can weld in due to sheer long term heat, the easy way is to remove the entire exhaust manifold and you will find it easier to do on your work bench.

If need be buy a set of IRWIN sockets, these will grip the bolt head even if the edges are worn, if the heads break off you will need to have the "studs" removed and possibly even re-tapped (as I had to with mine) and Helicoil's fitted. Make sure you fit new 8.8 grade bolts.

1mm is quite a lot, as it's out of the vehicle I can't suggest running it up and seeing if it leaks. As it's out, I'd go for replacement to be honest. My Project 109, when I get on with it, is going to be getting complete engine rebuild, new turbo, rebuilt gearboxes etc, simply because I want to put it on the road and drive it, not then start changing things because they're worn out and I didn't replace them when I had the chance. Means it's going to cost a lot to get on the road, but hopefully it'll not cost me much once it is on the road.

I had the same problem recently, I just used a Nut Splitter to remove each nut in seconds.

I got a set of these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/9MM-manufactured-molybdenum-chemically-Capacities/dp/B00DW568R4/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1427253840&sr=8-12&keywords=draper+nut+splitter

Are they nuts I'm trying to get off then RodneyA ? I honestly thought they were bolts.

I've been and bought a set of Irwin bolt removers like these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irwin-Bolt-Grip-Remover-394001/dp/B0000CCXVZ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427292672&sr=8-1&keywords=irwin+bolt+extractor

You aren't kidding there western.

I have loads of spanners and sockets but still had to go rooting for a 1/2inch spanner that would both fit and not flex when I leant on it.

Nuts or bolts - one way or another they are coming off tonight. Even if I have to get the gas on them.

Yes, they are the same on the 300Tdi, just rubber/silicon plugs to fill in a hole drilled during block machining for the cam shaft bearing lubrication, once fitted the bearing blocks off the hole and the plug is there to prevent dirt from getting in.

Great detective work guys. I've had a scape at some of the crud on the top of the block and found another 2 bits of sealant. That makes 3 which are right under the back 3 head bolts on the fuel pump side of the engine.

My OCD won't let me life with the sealant. So I'll add 3 x ERR5034 to my shopping list.

As an update to the turbo issue.

I've unbolted the turbo from the manifold - and all 4 nuts (yep, nuts - doh!) brought their studs out with them. But they are out intact.

Now I need to work out how to get the damned thing unattached from the block. whatever the bigger hose is at the bottom just won't let it come off - yet.

I think I'll have to take the manifold off to allow the turbo to twist around and wind the hose out of the block.

I'll get there!

Thank you for your support but I suspect its not the last time I'll be asking for your help.

The good news is the truck is on the road and running nicely on its 19j 2.5TD engine. I had her up to a heady 65mph yesterday - if I had any hair I suspect it would have been blown off

This is an upgrade project for the future so I'm in no screaming hurry..

Sounds right Bowie69. Big fat thing with a little bit of flexi in the middle.

28mm nut with a locking nut on the block end.

Not the little one with a banjo bolt on the end which is on the top. That came off nicely.

I'll cut the flexi if I need to and replace it when I rebuild. But its loose at the block, I just cant separate the turning nut from its locking nut and they are both turning.

Once I get this bloody turbo off tonight. And if we decide its too worn to risk putting in, is it a new CHRA cartridge I need

Like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LANDROVER-200TDi-TB02-TURBO-Prt-No-465175-465171-UPRATED-CHRA-CARTRIDGE-/171639044189?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27f67bf85d

Or is it this repair kit

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LANDROVER-300TDi-T250-200TDi-TB02-TURBO-UPGRADE-MAJOR-SERVICE-REPAIR-KIT-/181669520632?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a4c58e4f8

Looking at the youtube vids it doesn't look THAT difficult a thing to do. Though you can bet your socks the bolts and that big eff-off circlip won't come out easily.

Or am I better giving it to someone like Turbo Technics or Midland Turbo who are just around the corner from where I work, and getting them to refurb it.

Is it worth the effort I guess is my question