plasma cutter. what a tool..

rich broom

• 9 months later...

My mates got a (fairly) cheap Chinese semi-branded afiar, first one failed fairly quickly as I recall but was swapped for a new one and or slightly different one and the new one appears to be lasting well. Self-starting, as most appear to be these days, good times.

As you say, supper useful!

Daniel

Also got a p30, still really learning how to use it, not going to replace the grinder for me - I like the nice straight cuts you get with a 1mm disc, but for finishing off cutting holes, cutting awkward shapes and chopping off rusty boots, it's fantastic. It's probably had the most use on bolts and stuff lately, just because it works in such a tight space and no risk of cutting nearby lines/hoses/wires.

S5eY9ht.jpg

Yep, finally joined the plasma club with a £200 Chinese jobbie, with pilot start.

Wow. Sounds like a nest of angry wasps who've been subjected to repeated "your mum" taunts. But boy can it cut through steel. Am sure a brand-name unit like R-tech would probably give better results, but for the moment this will do nicely.

A tip though, as well as upgrading the filter/water separator unit that comes with the machine, invest in a decent air hose. Screwfix were doing the 10mm stuff cheap recently, and you can probably find good prices on Ebay.

Matt