Cylinder head issue?

My 90 has now done a couple of thousand miles since its rebuild, however the only part I didn't do much to was the engine. It ran well, didn't smoke or rattle excessively so a service, adjust the tappets, timing belt/pump etc and all was well....

I started getting coolant leaks from a couple of hoses, and on opening the expansion tank found it was quite highly pressurised....even after the vehicle sitting for a few days it was still under a fair bit of pressure. I have no mixing or loss of fluids, no smoke (apart from the usual puff of black on start up) and the truck runs well, boosts ok and doesn't overheat even when towing. Heater works well too.

So, having searched about I don't have the blowing noise associated with the gasket going between cylinders 3/4 but is this more indicative of a cracked head? Or something simple like a faulty cap on the expansion tank?

Thoughts appreciated, or should I just bite the bullet and whip the head off for a look?

Cheers

Scott

I had the same problem on a 200tdi but changed the engine at the time. Later I took the water pump off and the impeller fell out having sheared off so now I'm wondering if it was a head gasket after all might be worth a check before lifting the head.

Mike

I would have replaced the water pump aswell myself if you went to the trouble of a rebuild.

Expansion bottle cap is a cheap quick test, water pump is a really important bit of the engine so always worth keeping an eye on, especially if you've got a 300!

Okay then, try the cap. It's a cheap test, and I always like to try the cheap tests first, unless of course there's an obvious culprit. Even if it proves not to be the case, you've tried it, it hasn't cost a lot, and now you'll have a spare on the shelf for the day when it does give up the ghost - that's the way I look at it.

Had another look at it this morning. Found the top thermostat to rad hose to be weeping so it's more than than likely the source of all my drips as it's been running down the stat housing onto the water pump housing and finding its way along the lower pipework. I also took the old cap off and gave it a good clean at the vent ports then ran it up to temp and everything seems to be ok with no build up of excessive pressure in the tank and no further leaks. I have a new cap and clear header tank en route so they will be changed regardless as I've never liked the idea of not being able to visually check the coolant level.

Time will tell....

The 300 TDI is very sensitive to overheating, so you may want to invest in a low coolant level alarm. You can fit the Range Rover expansion tank cap with low coolant sensor, however you'll need to bodge up wires into the cab and to a "spare" instrument panel light for your alarm. There are a couple of variants on the web regarding how to dfit an alarm or warning light.