Tyre plugging

Nigelw

Thought I'd share this as I had originally bought the tyre plugging gear for personal use but it was pressed into service today on the farms compact loader, it is pretty much the same principle with our tubeless tyres.

Find source of punture, spike of some sort?

20150326_092757_zpsexmrefwq.jpg

Get the gear out and ready, hand reamer, plug, insert tool and vulcanizing glue.

20150326_092848_zps024jmrok.jpg

Pull out the cause and stick the reamer in the hole, be warned, what ever air was left in the tyre will fast escape, so best be next to a source of air!!

20150326_092914_zpsjgotgpjz.jpg

Fit the plug into the inserting tool and libarally smear the plug with the vulcanizing glue.

20150326_093338_zpsqa77a02d.jpg

Push the plug in and pull the tool out and job done.

20150326_093353_zpszvfiqjwu.jpg

There are guidelines on how far out from the center of the tread you can safely plug a road going tyre but in an emergency, get you back to civilization type scenario, anything goes, but do look up the guidelines, better safe than sorry. If I can find a link I'll post it up :)

These type of plugs , are only a emergency stopgap , they should not be left in tyres that are used at speed on highway , there are

several reasons they are not recommended as a permanent repair . I do carry this kit , but recognise their limitations based on years of experience in the tyre trade. HTSH

These type of plugs , are only a emergency stopgap , they should not be left in tyres that are used at speed on highway , there are

several reasons they are not recommended as a permanent repair . I do carry this kit , but recognise their limitations based on years of experience in the tyre trade. HTSH

Interesting, I didn't realise these repairs weren't good for the road? I assumed it was the same gear a tyre place would use to repair one.

I do have some others that came from a tyre fitter, they are a plug patch type pulled through from the inside, they're ok if you can break the bead and fit, but these are good enough to get you home or at least back to a tyre services to get it sorted.

I always carry a similar kit purchased from Aldi, I've only ever had to use it once - some idiot left the stem of a pop rivet on the driveway :blush: but as soon as was practical I had a patch vulcanised on the inside of the tyre.

I agree, these plugs are great to get you back on the road if you do happen to get a puncture but they are not recommended for long term use or good for speeds in excess of 80 kph (45mph) the plug, even though it's glued in can come out with tyre distortion and the normal increase in tyre temperature that goes with higher speed cruising.

The permanent repair , is using one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rema-Tip-Top-A6-Minicombi-Tyre-Stem-Wired-Combination-Repair-Germany-8-pk-/271451822541?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f33ca19cd

which requires demounting , and allows inspection of the inside of the tyre carcass . On certain tyres this will result in a speed derating (not likely to concern 4x4 users:) ) . The minicombi seals from inside and also seals the tyre cords from the outside , to prevent delamination . HTSH

In some jurisdictions the string type is not legal , some for commercial use , and some for private use.

The permanent repair , is using one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rema-Tip-Top-A6-Minicombi-Tyre-Stem-Wired-Combination-Repair-Germany-8-pk-/271451822541?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f33ca19cd

which requires demounting , and allows inspection of the inside of the tyre carcass . On certain tyres this will result in a speed derating (not likely to concern 4x4 users:) ) . The minicombi seals from inside and also seals the tyre cords from the outside , to prevent delamination . HTSH

In some jurisdictions the string type is not legal , some for commercial use , and some for private use.

They are the ones, got a box full of them with tube of the cement and the wire pull through.