Wild TD5

All4Fabrication

now thats a idea, a cummins powered elise... ill have to put that on my 'gotta build that one day' list. along with a twin bike engined 4wd peugeot 205 and jet powered mini....

Ah yes, fit an engine to a car that weighs as much as the rest of the car :huh:

I understand the weight argument regarding the cummins. But here's the thing. Ash went from having the lightest engine variant (all alloy RV8) to the heaviest. If anyone was going to notice really bad handling characteristics due to the engine swap, it would probably be him. Going from what I understand he wouldn't change back for the world.

Just stick a winch and a few things in the back to even out the weight distribution.... ;)

Well what exactly is the point?

The OP wanted to know about how folk went about gaining big hp from td5 motors. Due to the fact that it's difficult, if not impossible to get BIG, reliable horsepower out the td5 without spending £££££, I (with tongue slightly in cheek due to op mentioning td5 specifically) mentioned the 6bt. And I stand by what I said: hp per £ nothing touches it...

The point is that the 6BT might make ridiculous amounts of power, but its weight makes it less desirable, especially in a Land Rover (or an Elise...). Weight matters a lot. Maybe not at the average P&P site, but in racing/trialling, definitely.

• 1 month later...

I did read some time back of a German company getting close to 800HP (at the drive wheels on a dyno) from an auto TD5 but that was after installing a new crank, pistons, chips etc. and increasing the displacement to 2.8 litres -- just why you would do this I do wonder about but then I'm a Luddite.

Thanks Boydie,

Did you have any info on this at all? Very curious to know how far one can be pushed.

Cheers

Adrian

The elephant in the room is for how long reliably , I looked at various options going from a 3.9i V8 , and decided on what i finished up with as giving the best combination of power, reliability , lightness, and longevity for the money . The merc engine came very close , but the standard parts using the BMW swung it . JMHO

now thats a idea, a cummins powered elise... ill have to put that on my 'gotta build that one day' list. along with a twin bike engined 4wd peugeot 205 and jet powered mini....

I'll just leave this here... Commer T3 supercharged diesel mini

Have a look what a T3 is. 3 Horizontal cylinders with a floating piston in each, and valves at each end. Properly potty!