2a grinding into second gear.

1800phil

Hi, I own a 2a which is grinding into second gear. When cold at low revs it will change ok. Once warm and at higher revs it grinds when changing up and clonks when changing down, all other gears are fine.

Before I start stripping parts off just wondered if any one had any advise or tips they could share.

Ok thanks for all replies. Even sat at idle when I try to engage 2nd it grinds. When I engage reverse you can feel spring in the gear lever and it will spring back into neutral if you let it go. All other gears the gate is floppy, is there any springs in side the selector gate which could of broken ??

If not I like the sound of series 3 box, plenty on ebay. Id like to get one I could recondition, one question though. There's some being advertised as series 2 2a 3 gear box, how can you tell if its a series 3 with synchros just from pictures?

If not I like the sound of series 3 box, plenty on ebay. Id like to get one I could recondition, one question though. There's some being advertised as series 2 2a 3 gear box, how can you tell if its a series 3 with synchros just from pictures?

i had a look this morning and cant see any that arent majorly overpriced, im after one too, if you see any under £100

Ok thanks for all replies. Even sat at idle when I try to engage 2nd it grinds.

how can you tell if its a series 3 with synchros just from pictures?

When idling stationairy with the clutch out and gearbox in neutral both shafts in the gearbox are turning.

If you then disengage the clutch the shafts wont stop immediately but will keep on turning for a while so if you then try to engage a non synchronised gear(1st 2nd or reverse) it will crunch.

If you put it in 3rd or 4th first(the synchronised gears) it will stop the shafts turning and then ,without taking your foot of the clutch, put it in 1st 2nd or reverse and it wont crunch.

Serie 2/2a and serie 3 boxes are easily identified by the bellhousing.

The partly synchronised boxes have a hole in the right hand side of de bellhousing with a large rubber grommet where the shaft for the clutch release bearing passes trough. The slave cilinder is on a bracket on the outside of the bellhousing.

On serie 3 boxes the slave cilinder is on the left hand side of the bellhousing and fitted directly to it.

Eric.

• Thanks 1