Weighing bits of Land Rover

I guess if you could draw the chassis fully in solidworks or inventor you may be able to carry out a stress analysis and turn the chassis into Swiss cheese (or build your own with your own cnc plasma)

Radius arms may be one area, and maybe A frame sections too

One area that I thought about having a go at was some fully ally doors (series style copy) as the push button handle ones on a fender are crackers (well I was surprised when I first took one off anyway)

The rest of it if you go rag top I can't see unless you're talking major custom fabrication ... Swivel housings or complete different axle solution (independent?)

I guess if you could draw the chassis fully in solidworks or inventor you may be able to carry out a stress analysis and turn the chassis into Swiss cheese (or build your own with your own cnc plasma)

One area that I thought about having a go at was some fully ally doors (series style copy) as the push button handle ones on a fender are crackers (well I was surprised when I first took one off anyway)

The rest of it if you go rag top I can't see unless you're talking major custom fabrication ... Swivel housings or complete different axle solution (independent?)

On the chassis front, Richards built the chassis for the gigglepin racer, they shaved 40KG off the weight by going mad with holes and a dimple die!

As the car will be an all rounder, used on the road as well as long distance, I'll probably be staying with the push button doors so I can wind the windows down.

The axles as a whole will be a bit heavier than standard, but that's for reliability, and only about 5kg per axle over a standard one.

To be honest, the weight in a landy chassis is mainly in the crossmembers, I removed 30 kg from my chassis by replacing the crossmembers with 2mm sections, like the main rails. Series doors is what everyone already uses. The push button jobbies wouldn't last 5 minutes offroad!

I like the russian approach as they are not re designing the car or the suspension, as the regulations dont allow it. They are much more restricted than we are here. They do things like titanium bolts, aluminium brake calipers, aluminium wheels (not those superheavy factory ones obviously). The car is basically a standard defender, but lighter.

On the chassis front, Richards built the chassis for the gigglepin racer, they shaved 40KG off the weight by going mad with holes and a dimple die!

As the car will be an all rounder, used on the road as well as long distance, I'll probably be staying with the push button doors so I can wind the windows down.

The axles as a whole will be a bit heavier than standard, but that's for reliability, and only about 5kg per axle over a standard one.

I doubt they achieved 40 kg by just cutting some holes. Cutting holes at the bottom is a bad idea in my opinion, jim already tore the a frame crossmember of the chassis, so I think it is a bit flawed.

I use some silverline 200kg hanging scales, I think you can calibrate them and whilst they are never gonna be mega accurate they are cheap enough you can buy a few to weigh larger items.

Will.