Bulkhead dipping frame design?

wanger

Been tidying up a bulkhead ready for Galvanising. I've done a few other bits in the past and all have warped a little. As this is a going to be part of a tidy , read expensive!, build i want it as straight as possible once done ready for paint.

Where would the best place be to be to make a mounting frame connect onto the bulkhead? or would a wire / bolt system be better.

so what if it distorts a little you can soon get it back into shape when it comes to bolting up, plus there is a country mile in tolerance in land rovers so having it perfectly true will be as much hassle as fitting a crash damaged item.. (slight jest)

Little less conversations and a little more action - (ment in good humour)

Done a few never had a issue.

its a tdci bulkhead, don't want distorsion in the bit you can see. i can bash the hell out the bottom if i need to persuade it :ph34r:

times upon me as i'm off on my travels soon, tomorrow actually, with work. it'll wait.

• 10 months later...

Here is mine as it came back from the galvanisers. I added the eye bots to give them something to hang it from so it went in vertically as I thought that would lessen distortion compared to it going in flat.

It worked anyway. The thing bolted up without so much as a tiny bit of jiggling

attachicon.gifchassis&bulkhead 015 (Medium).jpg

Does it matter that the galv wont have got on the section between the box section and the bulkhead bolt points? This is the only thing that stops me doing what you have done because as ejparrot says, there will be little bits that dont get galv'd

Na, just paint the places where no galvanising or just smear grease on it. I've got some big-ish sections where the galvy was ripped off the lower chassis rails on my chassis due to her previous life as a mud buggy, I just paint it from time to time with something silver looking, and cover it with waxoyle.

What are you expecting to happen?

No problem. We worry too much about continuous coverage. You could bolt a lump of zinc to the panel and it would stop a lot of the rust. It does not need continuous cover to work.

Hehe - I've got a lump of magnesium somewhere I was going to attach to something appropriate to see if that help anything...

My plan was a bit of box across the feet as above and ask them to dip it upside down (i.e. hang it from the box/feet).

The only place there wouldn't be zinc would then be the bolt tubes in the feet, and as these are covered/occluded by the chassis bracket and/or bolt when in-situ I can't see this being a major problem! It's the internal cavities and footwells that rust as we all know so they should all get a decent protection.