Sunroof yet again

Simon_CSK

I still have a leak from my front sunroof. I have now replaced the seal, done the channels and the broken outlets and taken the sunroof out and reseated it on the metal with new sealant.......Is there anything else I can do before I cover it in clear vinyl?

yes!

Check that in the shut position the glass is being held down sufficiently. I found it was not on mine - side winds on a motorway caused wind ingress, moderate push down on glass caused glass to move.

I removed the winder mechanism and stripped it so that the indent for fully closed was one tooth further round. This pulled the glass doen further stopping the side wind noise and water ingress.

Problem solved!

Adrian

yes!

Check that in the shut position the glass is being held down sufficiently. I found it was not on mine - side winds on a motorway caused wind ingress, moderate push down on glass caused glass to move.

I removed the winder mechanism and stripped it so that the indent for fully closed was one tooth further round. This pulled the glass doen further stopping the side wind noise and water ingress.

Problem solved!

Adrian

Adrian

It is a substantial amount of water coming in and usually when the car is nose down. If I park it nose up a hill it is fine.

Adrian

It is a substantial amount of water coming in and usually when the car is nose down. If I park it nose up a hill it is fine.

The water is still probably getting in but if parked up hill it runs out through the drain holes as they are only on the rear. Mine has started leaking again so when I strip it out this time I shall use the sealant strip used on caravans which allows more flex.

The water is still probably getting in but if parked up hill it runs out through the drain holes as they are only on the rear. Mine has started leaking again so when I strip it out this time I shall use the sealant strip used on caravans which allows more flex.

The drains are only at the front of both sunroofs and if water is reaching them with the sunroof closed the glass seal must be faulty or the glass itself out off adjustment.

The drains are only at the front of both sunroofs and if water is reaching them with the sunroof closed the glass seal must be faulty or the glass itself out off adjustment.

Replaced the seal last week. This is a substantial amount of water getting through. Not just a drip or two.

I stand corrected yes they are at the front only, memory lapse. I have my headlining out twice to do mine and find that the frame to body seal gives way even cleaning the surface with a solvent and using a flexible sealant. I put it down to different expansion rates.

I have my headlining out twice to do mine and find that the frame to body seal gives way even cleaning the surface with a solvent and using a flexible sealant. I put it down to different expansion rates.

Did that the last time as well as making sure the outlet tubes were well and truely sealed and fixed in place.

definitely coming from sunroof and not the top of the windscreen? had this a few times.

Coming under the head cloth and tends to drop on the dash at the radio. Knackered two DVD players now.