Rear whining

tpk241

Hi Guys,

Hello to all .. my first query !!!

I've developed a rear whiney noise with a dry grindy sound to accompany it Confused, heres the breakdown:-

Disco 300 TDI Commercial with OME HD Lift of about 2.5" - 3", Springs: 764's and 763's, rear cranked arms from equippe, 33x12.50x15 BFG muds.

Sits quite high cos i have stripped the rear seating and carpets. Its had a rotoflex for the duration of the lift (6 months). I have jumped in the back and got the missus to drive the truck, holding me ear to the floor panel It sounds like the rear diff.

• Noise stronger on accel and when Cornering (left hand down louder)

• Reduction in noise whilst braking

• Noise still there when rear prop removed

• Checked a little bit of the diff oil without draining and looks like new

• No obvious play in wheel bearings or swivels when jacked and checked

From what i have searched on the net it sounds like pinion bearings or grooved crown wheel ?

I have a UJ to UJ prop which i will be fitting when i get to the bottom of the problems above.

Please help confirm my suspicions or advise on next steps of diagnosis ..

Thanks

TPK

Diff pinion brgs possibly but don't rule out the wheel bearings even if there is no play you can feel at all - I have seen SO many people with a "duff diff" which turned out to be wheel bearings! Had the same thing myself on my 1996 Discovery.

In fact I would almost bet a whole £1 you will find it is the wheel bearings.

Almost :)

Boggy has a good point as normal. i find on my disco i need to take the halfshaft out to find any play in rear wheel bearings. the shaft seems to hold it all in line other wise, only movement i ever find with the shaft in is directly in & out from the axle.

Boggy has a good point as normal. i find on my disco i need to take the halfshaft out to find any play in rear wheel bearings. the shaft seems to hold it all in line other wise, only movement i ever find with the shaft in is directly in & out from the axle.

Your right ... Took out the half shafts and found the Drivers side was full of rusty milky greasy stuff and that 2 of my half shaft flange bolts had sheared ...

Replaced and back to the regular noises !!

Thanks all

Your right ... Took out the half shafts and found the Drivers side was full of rusty milky greasy stuff and that 2 of my half shaft flange bolts had sheared ...

Replaced and back to the regular noises !!

Thanks all

Damn. I knew I should have gone for that £1 ;)

Glad you got it fixed :)

Word of warning just check the brake pads if it was bad enough to shear a flange bolt - the brake pads may be worn a bit funny and you don't want to find out during the first emergency stop that one side stops quicker than the other.... so it may be worth a visual check, and just do a few test emerg stops on a nice empty bit of road, starting with a fairly gentle one and moving up to a "four strips of rubber on the road" job, just to make sure its ok.

Thanks for the warning ...

Rear pads only replaced a little while ago (6 months ish) ... I knew that one bolts had gone as the head wasn't there when i bought the truck ... the other sheared whilst i was undoing it ... Used a stud extractor to remove one but the other was stuck right in there ...

Put it all back together and siliconed the vacant bolthole up until i can get a new hub from somewhere or remove the remaining stud ...

• 3 months later...

On the same subject, I have got vibrations coming from the rear of my Defender after it's been driven for a while once the diff oils, possibly bearings have warmed up. I think the diff may be on it's way out as it's souunds quite clonky when you turn the rear prop back and forth by hand. To add to this happening once it;s warm it also has to be doing between 50-60 to be more obvious and it has to be taking up drive i.e not free wheeling, with this in mind could this still be a problem with a wheel bearing.

I have gone to the extent of pricing a rear diff and I am seriously worried that this may well be a waste a time if I end up fitting one by mistake if I cant find play in the wheel bearings, I have already replaced a couple of series diffs on my back in the rain whilst balancing it on my chin, those diffs snapped things first so were more obvious.

On another post I made I thought it was a front UJ but as the vibrations/noises have become louder it has become more obvious that the problem is in the rear.

Rich