Move To New Hosting Provider...

LR90

As many of you know we are struggling here at present with our current hosting provider and their servers.

But we are working to fix it :)

A contract is now in place with another provider and we are currently getting the servers configured. We hope to be able to do a test transfer of the forum early next week and if all goes well do a final transfer shortly after.

We intend to change as little as possible with this move and will be sticking with the Invision Power Board software (but will move to the current release) that we have all been getting to grips with since we all moved to this bolt hole.

The forums new url's LR4x4.com and www.LR4x4.com will continue to work and will point to the new home when the final transfer is made.

I and the other admins will try to keep you updated as things progress and just ask for your tolerance in the meantime.

Hi Motorhead,

glad you dropped in :)

for this move we are just after stability and continuity for our members who have had enough to put up with over recent weeks. Looking further ahead we will need to consider if IPB is adequate for our needs and if not which BB package is the most suitable. I wouldn't want to see any changes in the next six months but would welcome your views/input when we do come to consider the options.

Hi Mate

Was only pulling ya leg, most people know I've just moved servers so I know how usefull testing in the background is...I had a week of testing then the eventual move took about 2 1/2hrs most of that was done without the members noticing, think site went off for about 2 minutes when I switched off one and turned on the other..

Not sure what sort of server access you've got but if you can get SHELL access theres a lot of usefull commands in there for moving files between servers which is a lot quicker than downloading to your PC then uploading again..

If your considering changing "engines" your better sooner than later, once the database reaches a certain size it starts to be a real pain to backup and do things with...although again if you can get a server that allows shell access it does make it easier..

good luck

FYI Invision Power Board v2.1 was released yesterday so we are just getting our new server upgraded to this before we do the test transfer of data.

Meantime we've been playing with the installed v2.0.4 which seems to have several new features (like threaded views and a Lo-Fi option for limited bandwidth) over our current 2 year old copy of IPB.

OK, more progress. The new server is now set up with the latest release of the forum s/w and a restored backup of all our threads and posts form a couple of days ago.

The mods and admins are checking it out (and enjoying the fast search facilities) before we try to set a final cut over date. URL will remain www.LR4x4.com

All being well the forum will move to its new server this Friday 23rd September.

Whilst the move is taking place the forum will (should?) still be available but only to view as we wouldn't want to loose any posts. The transfer should be completed in 2-3hours and once complete www.LR4x4.com will take you straight there.

If it all goes horribly wrong we will just reopen the current forum and go away to sulk :)

I would have liked to give you all a definate time when this will occur but best I can get at the moment is between 09:00 and 20:00 EDT (or 14:00 and 01:00 BST). Bit like waiting for that plumber.

OK guys n gals. Short notice but the US are now awake and ready to help with the transfer.

In a moment (minutes) I'll be taking this board off line to perform the backups and prevent posts or registrations while the transfer is taking place.

All being well in 3-4 hours you'll find yourselves in our new, slightly more modern home.

OK, well I'm pretty stuck trying to put a message on the old board but I see some of you have just cliecked the links and ended up here.

There will be loose ends to tidy up so if you see anything funny post up and we'll try and get them sorted.

Oh, and WELCOME :D

Looking good guys - my only request might be that the PM boxes could be made a bit bigger once you've fixed all the important stuff?

Cheers,

Richard

DD,

well very relieved someone got here and managed to post so thanks :D

WRT to the PM box there's a little '+' tab in the bottom left of the text box. Clicking it enlarges the text box.

Same facility seems to be there in these reply boxes. We stuck with the same IPB software but just changing versions means there are still new features and changes we will be getting used too.

Mind, nice to have the search back.

WRT to the PM box there's a little '+' tab in the bottom left of the text box. Clicking it enlarges the text box.

Sorry, didn't explain it too well - I meant the number of messages you can store, it seems to run out of space at 50? Not essential, but I like to keep all my old messages! :D

Sorry, didn't explain it too well - I meant the number of messages you can store, it seems to run out of space at 50? Not essential, but I like to keep all my old messages! :D

Ah, that one. Yes it bugs me too so that should be pretty high on our list ;)

Good work Trev and whoever else helped.

One wierd thing - in the technical archive was a post by Western about how to wire up Allbright solenoids.

It doesn't show up in the list, but if you knew the URL on the old board you could go to it.

The URL was

Wonder if there are anyother posts that don't show up there

Andy

Good work Trev and whoever else helped.

One wierd thing - in the technical archive was a post by Western about how to wire up Allbright solenoids.

It doesn't show up in the list, but if you knew the URL on the old board you could go to it.

The URL was

Wonder if there are anyother posts that don't show up there

Andy

Actually just answered my own question - :rolleyes:

The default for that forum and I suspect others, is only to show messages from the last 30 days.

Might be worth changing that forum default to all if possible.

Andy

Thanks for the feedback Andy.

I think there will be a few things we can tweak over the comming weeks and new features to get to grips with. For now though I'm just relieved that we have a stable platform at last to take the forum forward on. An end to double posts one hopes and the many other sundry errors we've all had to tolerate.