Half empty fuel filter, time to finally put in an electric fuel pump.

reb78

Not bad Mo. More acceleration from low revs, but I suppose it would have done that if is put a new working lift pump on it. I think it is better, but it's hard to judge given I've gone from a faulty pump to a new one. It is louder than I'd like. You can just hear it at idle with the radio off. I've just fitted some rubber bushes to isolate it a bit more from the mounting plate and that's helped a little.

• 5 years later...

About time Mo.

Andy offered to sort out a blanking plate for me above but I never heard back after this. 

I cut the pump diaphragm section off of the old pump on mine and removed the pump arm and then filled the hole with JBWeld or similar. Its held fine so far, but a blanking plate would be tidier. @vulcan bomber might be able to make something up fairly easily.

A piece of 6mm plate or similar cut to size would probably do the job?

Edited by reb78

On 7/21/2020 at 1:21 PM, reb78 said:

About time Mo.

Andy offered to sort out a blanking plate for me above but I never heard back after this. 

I cut the pump diaphragm section off of the old pump on mine and removed the pump arm and then filled the hole with JBWeld or similar. Its held fine so far, but a blanking plate would be tidier. @vulcan bomber might be able to make something up fairly easily.

A piece of 6mm plate or similar cut to size would probably do the job?

I can certainly make them, but one or 2 wouldn't be a cheap exercise... if there is enough people after them on the forum maybe I can make enough to give you a sensible price?

1 hour ago, Maverik said:

Haha! I assumed it was not a common thing to do so they didnt exist and never looked. I suppose a better blank would be to remove the section that that plate/the pump bolts to, but on the other hand, leaving it in place allows easy replacement of a mechanical pump should the electric one ever fail.

1 hour ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

What are peoples thoughts on using an in-line pump to compliment the mechanical lift pump, as opposed to an electronic lift pump and getting rid of the mechanical one completely?

I cant see it doing much. If the mechanical ones work, they are fine as they are. If you have no leaks in your fuel system, you can even do without a lift pump - I can forget to turn my electric one on and you wouldnt notice (although I am sure it adds strain to the FIP if it isnt on as that will have to work harder to pull fuel through).