Series 3 jumping out of 1st gear

Aussie80inch

Help !!

Bought a recondition series 3 gearbox ( ex army reconditioned ) by all accounts it looks recondition, internals look new, gears, shafts, synchro, seals etc all looked perfect.

Was absolutely spotless inside and out, not a drop of old oil any where.

Installed into my 80 inch filled it with the correct oil and it runs perfect In fact it the smoothest and quietist series box I've driven, changes gears up and down with ease and wait for it ------ it doesn't leak oil !.

But here's the problem under load ( down hill ) it jumps out of 1st gear

The box did sit for some time before I installed it into the 80 inch some of it in the weather ( under a tarp )

Could it be these spring I hear mentioned in some forums or is this wishful thinking and if this is the problem whats the best way and parts to fix it with.

As always any help appreciated

Check the detent plungers on the selector housing: if the little plungers aren't moving freely it can cause junping-out-of-gear issues.

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac14/wildefalcon/Landrover%20Series%203%20Gearbox%20rebuild/08122011524.jpg

There's one that operates vertically (fitted under a brass plug), and another pair of them horizontally on the sides of the selector housing, one each side, behind seals, held in place by steel "L"-plates.

Look for surface-corrosion or dried-out grease that could be causing them to bind.

Change the detent springs as a form of amusement - it won't make any difference.

Try tightening the nut on the back of the mainshaft. Its the castle nut visible with the transfer box top cover removed. It should be done up to 100 lb ft torque (recommended by Fairey when fitting overdrive.) Use a new locker - many are cut off-centre or something so that the legs don't engage properly with the splines in the gear and this may impede the locking ability by allowing the washer to move further inside the gear under use and allow the nut to loosen. Otherwise its a synchro/engagement teeth problem.

There is a cheat you could use. Replacing the 1st/2nd detent spring under the left L plate with a reverse gear spring will increase the detent pressure. It would certainly be worth making sure the fork is set on the selector shaft in a position that allows the detent ball all the way into the shaft's groove; if the fork is a little too far aft on the shaft, the gear will engage and travel stop before the detent ball engages fully in its slot.