Wear those goggles!

reb78

I've had lots bounce under my safety specs both at work and home... amazingly the eyes reactions are great and only a couple had made it into the eye. None have needed digging out thankfully!!

Thats normally the same for me, but just not this time!

Slight thread drift - but also make sure that you wear the correct hearing protection. I've lost all my high tone hearing and have constant tinnitus as a result of frequent exposure to machinery noise and loud bangs with inadequate or zero hearing protection in the first couple of decades of a 30+ year Army career.

Wearing a pair of hearing aids (while great for letting me actually hear stuff again) is no fun - not least because of the p***taking comments of my colleagues and teenage sons !

This is important stuff. I started taking better care of myself when the hearing stared going. I use a high quality set of active ear muffs. They block out all dangerous noise but still allow you to hear everything around you. Expensive but comfortable and you end up keeping them on the whole time.

With glasses I haven't been as lucky yet. I try to use them but for whatever reason they keep impair my vision and I can't see properly through them. I have tried expensive lab goggles (Bolle) but they are no better. Can anyone recommend some goggles you can actually see through?

This is important stuff. I started taking better care of myself when the hearing stared going. I use a high quality set of active ear muffs. They block out all dangerous noise but still allow you to hear everything around you. Expensive but comfortable and you end up keeping them on the whole time.

With glasses I haven't been as lucky yet. I try to use them but for whatever reason they keep impair my vision and I can't see properly through them. I have tried expensive lab goggles (Bolle) but they are no better. Can anyone recommend some goggles you can actually see through?

Mine at work are Betafit ones. No idea which model though I'm afraid. Lovely and clear and close fitting.

Dantastic, the ones I link to give a good view, buy a couple of pairs, as it sounds like dirt/scratches on the lens is what is affecting you.

The slightest scratches and dirt make for a horrible view.... I always keep mine stashed in my box at work, or in the safety glasses box in my workshop at home. Minimising the scratches really helps. :)

Hearing protection

Anyone in the know what the rule of thumb is?

Yup I have a set (and do use) of the cheapo red ear defenders (probably ex Clarke or mm) and I do all the usual serious fab stuff (4" 10" grinder 14"chop saw, sanding air compressor etc maybe a few other noise generating items)

The problem with hearing aides we are told at work is they only work above the 5khz band so you never get the high tones back.

As a hearing aid wearer, I would agree, the frequency response improved by most hearing aids, and certainly NHS ones drop off at about 7-8KHz. You only need up to 8 for speech, and as that is most important that's what they aim for.

I haven't heard a digital watch alarm since I was about 13 though, my hearing loss is hereditary, nothing to do with loud things :)

• 2 weeks later...

Having to go back in and have them scrape the rust out of where the metal was wasn't fun... Especially when the nurse says "Now hold still, or I might stab you in the eye..."

All I'm saying is this - if you think there's something well in there, go get it dealt with sooner rather than later. If it's there for too long, it rusts in the hole, resulting in the need for scraping.