Chinese tools

elbekko

Would you buy them?

I'm looking at a leakdown tester, and found this:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Engine-Cylinder-Leak-down-Detector-Leakage-Compression-Compressor-Measure-Dual-Gauge-Test-Tester-Diagnostic-Diagnosis-Tool/32278854199.html

About half the price of comparable sets from reputable companies. On one hand, how wrong can they get something like that? On the other hand, one bad seal would probably be enough to make it useless...

I have an almost identical kit, purchased on EBay and imported from China, and for the amount of uses it gets (about 4 times to date in over 5 years) it works fine and seems to be reasonably accurate, it's certainly accurate enough for general home mechanic use anyway, the only problem I had with mine was having an adaptor turned up so I could measure the compression at the glow-plug port rather than having to remove the injector, this way I can read the compression with the engine up to temperature and running at idle speed 750rpm - Chinese spanners, screwdrivers and sockets however are made from hardened plasticine :rtfm:.

Well, they arrived yesterday. Looks pretty good. I ordered a leakdown tester, a compression tester, and a valve spring compressor tool (the one I had before is a bit charred now). The compression tester and leakdown tester were shipped from Germany (!) and were here in a few days. The valve spring compressor will take a bit longer, as it's coming from China.

Compression tester:

yZ4ZvM0h.jpg

Leakdown tester:

RZbkT7Vh.jpg

Note how it fits perfectly in a case of Westmalle Tripel :lol:

It all looks pretty good, the machining and threads look clean. Not sure when I'll get around to testing it out, hopefully soon.

And the most amazing thing is, the manual doesn't appear to be in Chinglish, but actual English :o

While we're on the topic, how do I position the cylinder for the leakdown test? Do I need to pop the rocker cover off to check both valves are closed, or is there a better way I'm overlooking?

I hope your purchases turn out to be good ones.

A quick browse on said Chinese site and I arrived at a rather disturbing product!

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Pick-Gun-Brockhage-Downward-European-Locks-Door/663223921.html

They're available in the uk to Mickey, the saying goes 'a lock keeps an honest man out'.

Look up bump keys on youtube, simpler, smaller and diy.

Leak-down test (from my manual, and the way I tested mine - all 4 cylinders) Turn engine to BDC for the cylinder to be tested, turn it over by hand to TDC and hold it there and read the pressure and the leakage rate. Note, engine should be at normal working temperature.

Just did a bit of visualising to make sense of the numbers from the manual:

Valve timing Inlet Exhaust
Opens 28°BTDC .............................................................................. 66°BBDC
Closes 77°ABDC .............................................................................. 39°ATDC

EgkVWRxl.jpg

So it does appear that no valve is even slightly open at TDC, so there should be no need to take off the rocker cover - getting anywhere near TDC should be alright.

(I hope that's correct)

However you will find the engine will turn over under the air pressure and unless it's on exactly tdc then it will turn enough for valves to open. It needs locking via a breaker bar against the chassis. (FFS don't hold the bar it's just asking for knuckle injury)

IMO a leak off test is much better than a compression test for anothing other than a quick health check.

P.s. on the subject of cheap Chinese tools, I have just bought a trans mission hack for £70 off of e blag. would normally she'll out for a sealey premier one or at the very least a Clarke one, but this looks identical and I am skint at the moment, but need it for a job.

I'll let you know what it is like

However you will find the engine will turn over under the air pressure and unless it's on exactly tdc then it will turn enough for valves to open. It needs locking via a breaker bar against the chassis. (FFS don't hold the bar it's just asking for knuckle injury)

Yeah, I read about the TDC thing to stop the engine rotating. I wonder how much of an issue that will really be, with all of the plugs in, and the cylinder somewhere around TDC (where it doesn't visibly move up or down anymore).

The valve spring compressor tool has arrived as well. It actually feels a lot sturdier and better made than the Sealey one I had before:

nz1jjJQ.jpg

So all in all a good set of tools for €70ish delivered to my door!