'W' Terminal Creating on Marelli Alternator

Got some instr but mainly in foreign gobbledegook. Made the assumption it was at the 2 term and connected it all up. On start up nothing happened so I flicked 1 of the little switches on the rear and tried again. It now reads about 800-900 on tickover which I assume is correct for an unmolested engine. But when I nail the throttle at standstill I can get it to rev over 4500. If going by the info talked about earlier in this thread then that seems a little to high. Any thaughts?

If I'd known you were in Calgary I'd of given you a call. I've just spent 6 months at Suffield, just down the roads from you.

Got some instr but mainly in foreign gobbledegook. Made the assumption it was at the 2 term and connected it all up. On start up nothing happened so I flicked 1 of the little switches on the rear and tried again. It now reads about 800-900 on tickover which I assume is correct for an unmolested engine. But when I nail the throttle at standstill I can get it to rev over 4500. If going by the info talked about earlier in this thread then that seems a little to high. Any thaughts?

If I'd known you were in Calgary I'd of given you a call. I've just spent 6 months at Suffield, just down the roads from you.

Try these settings ----------- I adjusted the slides 1 & 3 up with 2 down, to give approx 4000rpm max & 800rpm at idle,

200Tdi max revs no load is 3800 & idle should be around the 750/800,

• 1 year later...
lots of info here for your engine the connections will be similar, my rev counter is a LR genuine item part number AMR5724 as used in the V8 50th 90's.

top revs for a 19J 2.5TD engine is 4000 rpm says Defender workshop manual, but 3800rpm is probably more like max revs.

Thanx for info ... very useful.

So a AMR 5724 will fit a 200tdi no problem ????

Just bought one of them gauges new for £20 new which is of course very cheap and i was tempted to buy the full stock, but instead i thought i would be kind and just share the info. Only 3 more on the shelf though.

So if anyone wants one then let me know.

Yep, same as mine

fitted it looks as good as this :D

My gauge arrived today.

Looks really good.

Two questions though..

1) Do you remember what position you put them little white switches in on the back of the gauge ?

2) I see that this land rover part is actually made by VDO.

So as i need 2 VDO water temp gauges (we discussed it in my draft proofing engine bay topic), is the, say TD5 defender water temp gauge also a VDO. Or any other that you know about.

This could save me a few quid as i'm also planning on putting in a TD5 speedo as mine keeps sticking around 60ish which is quite dodgy. So if the TD5 one is made by VDO i could just buy the whole dash off eblag.

OK, this is how you check if your rev counter is correct (although I think they are a waste of time on a diesel anyway)

Mark the pulley on the diesel with tipp-ex or white paint.

Get a car with an accurate tacho, attach a timing light. Run the car to, say, 1000 rpm and point the timing light at the diesel pulley. When the paint mark stops the diesel is doing 1000 rpm as well. Then adjust the tachometer on the diesel to read 1000rpm.

I have a VDO non-adjustable tacho and had to change the pulley on the alternator to get it to read right. But it is the gauge I look at the least; if you have ears you will know exactly what revs the engine is doing without looking at a gauge. A boost gauge is much more interesting.

My gauge arrived today.

Looks really good.

Two questions though..

1) Do you remember what position you put them little white switches in on the back of the gauge ?

2) I see that this land rover part is actually made by VDO.

So as i need 2 VDO water temp gauges (we discussed it in my draft proofing engine bay topic), is the, say TD5 defender water temp gauge also a VDO. Or any other that you know about.

This could save me a few quid as i'm also planning on putting in a TD5 speedo as mine keeps sticking around 60ish which is quite dodgy. So if the TD5 one is made by VDO i could just buy the whole dash off eblag.

set mine to this

Try these settings ----------- I adjusted the slides 1 & 3 up with 2 down, to give approx 4000rpm max & 800rpm at idle,

200Tdi max revs no load is 3800 & idle should be around the 750/800,

still set like it & works fine.

for the Td5 speedo see the 'wibbly wobbly speedo' thread in this forum, http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...mp;#entry154021

for the temp gauge see the above link & this link http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=16467&st=0

HTH

Ralph

OK, this is how you check if your rev counter is correct (although I think they are a waste of time on a diesel anyway)

Mark the pulley on the diesel with tipp-ex or white paint.

Get a car with an accurate tacho, attach a timing light. Run the car to, say, 1000 rpm and point the timing light at the diesel pulley. When the paint mark stops the diesel is doing 1000 rpm as well. Then adjust the tachometer on the diesel to read 1000rpm.

I have a VDO non-adjustable tacho and had to change the pulley on the alternator to get it to read right. But it is the gauge I look at the least; if you have ears you will know exactly what revs the engine is doing without looking at a gauge. A boost gauge is much more interesting.

Clever ... would never of thought of that.

I got a boost gauge on order as well.

I got a mrs ... she drowns out the engine noise when she's in a one. Thus need the tacho :rolleyes::lol:

Ta

(although I think they are a waste of time on a diesel anyway)

They have a couple of uses....

1) To make sure you have adequate engine speed to bring on boost if required during a hill climb.

2) To prevent over revving when going downhill off road.... Yes it is possible....