Defender V8 Engine Mounts?

My mounts were removed from the discovery chassis that donated the engine and box and welded in place by me. ... need for speeds look slightly higher if anything. .

David. The gearbox mounts are slightly slotted. Have you tried sliding them as far back as they will go to see if the engine mount bolts clear the mounts on the chassis? ?.. if they do what about simply cutting a 6mm thick adapter that bolts to both mounts. ... rather than cut anything or modify either mounts ...

Thanks all.

I'm going to make some plates to bolt or weld to the engine mount brackets to bring the rubbers forward by 2". I'll post pics when I've done it case anyone else comes across this in the future.

David

Are you sure your engine will clear the firewall if it sits 2 inches back?

I have an efi V8 in mine which was once a 2.5 NA diesel, is also had the LT77 with a long bellhousing and my engine sits in the right place.

I might be mistaken but looking at your pics your rear gearbox to chassis mounts also seem further back.... Can it be as ash-Whitty suggested that you have the wrong set of gearbox to chassis mounts for your setup?

Are you sure your engine will clear the firewall if it sits 2 inches back?

I have an efi V8 in mine which was once a 2.5 NA diesel, is also had the LT77 with a long bellhousing and my engine sits in the right place.

I might be mistaken but looking at your pics your rear gearbox to chassis mounts also seem further back.... Can it be as ash-Whitty suggested that you have the wrong set of gearbox to chassis mounts for your setup?

Sounds like you achieved what I was aiming for with my long bell housing and lt77.

The gearbox mount brackets are from the original defender chassis (lt77 with short bell housing but it for the seatbox etc) so I guess must be right? I am of course assuming the holes for the gearbox mounts on the new chassis are in the right place?

Does anyone know a dimension for one from an outrigger or something?

ok this is what my gearbox mountings look like, both left and right.

basically the bolt on the mounting lines up approximately with the bottom bolt that goes thru the chassis on the 3 bolts that make a triangle on your chassis.

post-101679-0-63251900-1430562366_thumb.jpegleft side

post-101679-0-80849200-1430562367_thumb.jpegright side

this is the length of my bell housing, aprox 285mm.

post-101679-0-58875300-1430562645_thumb.jpeg

and the gearbox is about 385mm. (from where the bell housing bolts onto it)

note that this is a R380 gearbox but they are the same length.

post-101679-0-73331300-1430562647_thumb.jpeg

the back face of the LT230 is about 260mm from the closer lip of the cross member that goes over the rear prop shaft.

sorry you can't see the measurement but at least you can see from where I have measured.

post-101679-0-94420100-1430562927_thumb.jpeg

from back face of LT230 to middle of gearbox mount is aprox 205mm

post-101679-0-35309100-1430563102_thumb.jpeg

front propshaft is approximately 665mm long

post-101679-0-79618200-1430563002_thumb.jpeg

if you need any further measurements or more accurate let me know and I will try get them for you.

Right, I got some time to go and have a measure.

Mine pretty much matches the measurements above apart from my LT77 gearbox is about 50mm shorter and the LT77 bell housing about 50mm longer to compensate.

I'm pretty sure the transfer box is in the right place as my original props will fit and are pretty much the same length as above.

My chassis engine mounts are in the same place as everyone else.

Before I go and fabricate some extensions for the engine mount brackets, would somebody be kind enough to check these measurements look right?

The end of my bell housing is dead level with the front of the bulkhead outrigger.

post-25128-0-23233800-1430905511_thumb.jpg

And the middle of the gearbox mount is 40cm back from the back of the bulkhead outrigger.

post-25128-0-22214300-1430905530_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

Hi David

mine measures up to about the same as yours

see attached the pic of my engine mount, from underneath the middle of the engine mount approximately lines up with the rear mounting bolts of the axle rubber bump stop.

post-101679-0-64181400-1430922944_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...

Old post - but the problem was I reckon that the 4 cylinder LT77 gearbox brackets were used instead of the V8 type - ask me how I know...

OK here is my story - 12 years ago I did a similar conversion with a 3.5 v8  Lt85 and 29D 230  into a 2.5TD 90 and not knowing any different welded the new engine mountings where the engine/gearbox dictated , I used the original propshafts and all was well until I had to shorten my new V8 exhaust system, stretch the top hose a bit and wonder why the viscous fan was too far away from the radiator cowl (about 2") . Fast forward to the present day and I need a new chassis - and I can see on the internet (access of which I didn't have when the conversion was done) that the V8 engine mountings are further back on my modified TD chassis hence the belated investigation....

Now's the time to put things right ! So I need a pair of V8 propshafts - some tunnel furniture , gearbox brackets, new exhaust (old one has done well but time for new ...etc etc

Barrie

Looking through it you are correct Barrie. The 300Tdi/V8 Td5 gearbox mounting position is about 2” forward of the old 4-cyl/200Tdi one. Hence the bulge in the front of the seatbox to clear the transfer box front output housing and the different propshaft lengths.

You have numerous options for mounting the boxes in this position:

• The old early V8 mounts which use the same 3-bolt triangle as the 4-cyl mounts in the photo above but have the actual rubber mounts further foirwards
  • The 300Tdi gearbox crossmember with the integral mounts
  • A Td5 or Tdci chassis which has the mounts welded to the chassis

All three options will, used with the correct rubbers and corresponding gearbox halves and with the correct gearbox variant, put the gearboxes and engine in the correct position for the V8, 300Tdi, Td5 or Tdci.

If you want to do it the ‘official’ way then yes. And use standard pipe work etc. for the engine.

But leaving the gearboxes where they are means you can leave your floors, tunnel and propshafts standard. At the cost of custom engine pipe work etc. though you may need that anyway depending on availability of Defender V8 stuff. 

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone,

I’ve just started my LHD 110 V8 project, it’s a 1986 2.5na 110. I now have a R380 disco gearbox that I have converted to a long stick defender version. As engine I have a 4.6 p38 V8 with 3.9 engine mounts. I bought weld on chassis engine mounts, which are not yet welded in place.

I installed the R380 on the LT77 gearbox mounts so I don’t need to alter my seatbase and props.

A few days ago I bolted my 4.6 to the R380 To see where the chassis mounts need to go, everything fits except the fact that it’s not lined up, the engine (with all the mounts in place) sits off the left (from the front).

anyone here with the same problem?

Do I move the gearbox to the left, or am I missing something?!

Edited by Panda the Landy