Bleeding Defender Brakes

I have a 1999 TD5 Defender 90 CSW with ABS/TC.

I have got to change the Shuttle Valve and the Master Cylinder on my truck this weekend. On completion I have to power bleed the Brake System and I have a Hawkeye to help me.

Is there anyone out there who can provide me a step-by-step guide to bleeding the brakes, as I haven't done this before.

If we could assume I have changed the Shuttle Valve, I have an new empty Resoviour, and I the Hawkeye is attached to the truck.

Any guides or tips anyone can give will be much appreciated.

All the Best

Chris

Hi,

I've just changed the ABS modulator on my 2003 TD5 110 which obviously introduced lots of air into the system. I don't have a Hawkeye but the Delphi diagnostic software I used to bleed the brakes tells you exactly what to do at every stage - I assume the Hawkeye will be similar.

The sequence was as follows:

Modulator / master cylinder ( run cycle until no more bubbles appear in reservoir)

Front Nearside wheel

Front Offside wheel

Rear Offside wheel

Rear Nearside wheel

Ideally you need two people - one to operate the device, the other to open/close the bleed valves on each wheel caliper. I used approx 1.5 litres of fluid to bleed the whole system - take care to top up the reservoir after each step. I bought some silicone tubing off evilbay (approx 6-8mm inside diameter) to help collect the old fluid in an old jam jar.