Steering guard question

Afternoon all,

Just a quick post to see if anyone has any views on the quality of the Flatdog steering guards. I'm not going to be doing any major off roading, maybe the odd track in Derbyshire a couple of times a year. The Flatdog guards are £150.00 and look very good when fitted. The other bit I'm not sure of other that the quality is that there are no recovery eyes built in, should I consider recovery eyes or not?

Thanks,

Matt

The FD one doesn't appear to have recovery holes, so no, don't use it for that.

There are others that incorporate recovery points, often using almost 10mm side plates, bolted directly to the chassis, these are more than suitable I would say.

E.g. http://www.paddockspares.com/pm610-steering-guard-galvanised-steel-with-hi-lift-jacking-points-and-towing-rings.html

Note, that isn't a recommendation, just an example!

• Like 1

My own take is that you won't need one. If you want one for aesthetic reasons go for it, but for the odd lane there is no need.

I think a search might bring up various thoughts on it, but ....

......looking where you are going and reading the ground should be enough

...... You can get hung up on things with them and in mud they can cause problems

...... They don't protect your steering bars from damage caused by impacts on the wheels.

For myself I'd go down the HD steering bars route instead.

Personally I'd never fit HD steering bars on a road going Land Rover.

Standard steering bars bend for a reason, as they absorb some of the impact that otherwise goes into the track rod ends or the steering box.

I'd rather a bent rod than a sheared track rod end.

Standard steering bars bend for a reason, as they absorb some of the impact that otherwise goes into the track rod ends or the steering box.

Either would make the steering unusable so what's the difference?

I've fitted HD steering bars to most of my land rovers over the years and never experienced a sheared track rod end, has anyone?

Either would make the steering unusable so what's the difference?

I've fitted HD steering bars to most of my land rovers over the years and never experienced a sheared track rod end, has anyone?

You could still keep moving with a bent rod, or pull it straight as a "get you home" if it was that bad, better than being stuck in the wilderness with a broken track rod end.

A bent rod also lets you know the steering's sustained an impact.

Just my opinion mind.

I also don't believe Land Rover made them springy and bendy so they could sell more spares.

I saw a bent drag link end on a HD bar equipped "challenge" truck at Peterborough LRO one year, it just made me think how much impact had been put into it.

Maybe I'm over cautious :rolleyes:

I'm sure there will be someone along to answer your question soon Matt ;)

Sorry, I got sidetracked.

I meant to add, the Flatdog ones look similar to the ones paddocks sell, I doubt either company make them themselves so it's possible they originate from the same factory.

Flatdog stuff seems ok if a little overpriced.

The paddock ones are cheaper and have recovery eyes, they're very well made, I've had a couple, the one on my 110 has taken a few bashes without damage.

That's great, thanks for the advice Pat_pending. Happyoldgit I have now learnt a lot about track rod ends, Steering boxes and steering arms ?. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge ??.

Matt

So I wonder why JRA fitted a HD tie rod and drag link to the Perentie for the Australian Army way back in the eighties ?

Or Nissan upgraded the tie rod and drag link on the GU Patrol to around 32mm, including female tie rod ends in around 2002 ? or....

It's just typical Land Rover under engineering.

My mate that was an engineer on the Oz army Perentie used words like 'joke' 'pathetic' and 'spaghetti' to describe the standard steering components, and he used some choice words for the aluminium channel under the diff.