Primer after using Mordant solution

I'm planning on painting my new galvanised chassis, it has been stood in the shed for about 2 years now and although the new shiny galvanised finish has faded I think I still need to T wash it - comments please.

Assuming I do t wash it can I just use some red oxide primer or does it still need to be etch primed?

question for others who have used mordant solution, roughly how much is needed to do a 90 chassis.

Cheers

Chris

They say if your going to put an additional finish on something that's been hot dipped it should be done as soon as possible, within a few days. I would've thought anything you can do to cut back the 'loose bits' and remove any grease will help. I would just use a standard metal primer.

When you use t wash/mordant solution the Galv will go black , you then rinse it off with water , once dried I suppose you would treat it like a normal(ungalved) piece of steel

My 110's chassis after 'T' wash, then rinsed with clean water & dried, I had some Repaint coach paint primer so used that as my primer coat, then vehicle chassis black [see .pdf attachment] bought from a local motor factor.

the primer was a Jenolite repaint product, it's tin was like the tin of carnival red below but labeled 'primer ' seems to have done the job well. bought in halfords ages ago, not seen this particular paint since.

post-20-0-97999000-1430498196_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-49905000-1430498201_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-52302300-1430498324_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-26620400-1430498327_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-31198600-1430498376_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-32030000-1430498378_thumb.jpg

Chassis Black October 2012.pdf

post-20-0-83355400-1430498834_thumb.jpg

Do not use red oxide. The current version bears no relation to the version 40 years ago.

My understanding is like Ralph. After mordant solution wash off with water and use a primer.

I am not sure that etch primer works better than other primers on steel( which has already been acid pickled).

Maybe someone in the trade can enlighten us.

Barry