Not a good day.

Welding the oil housing is likely to be problematic as it will have spent such a long time absorbing oil. Will need a lot of baking to get the oil residue out and make it clean enough to TIG back together.

EDIT: would help if I had read all the thread before replying :lol:

Filter head weld is done,[photo will be added a bit later] just need to do a bit of filing to get one area flat, new prop & sender adaptor picked up & all is go for a refit tomorrow afternoon & Saturday.

the welded repair & the new adaptor for pressure senders [warning light & gauge]

the adaptor fits as in the 3rd photo.

nearly forgot [for future reference] Defender 200tdi oil cooler hose threads at the filter connection end are M20 x 1.5mm pich.

post-20-0-12286800-1431022934_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-06027100-1431022947_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-79528200-1431023023_thumb.jpg

Edited by western

same here as the actual casting is uesd on all the 4 cylinder engines upto & including 200Tdi, the oil pressure sender hole thread is M10 x 1mm fine, looks like my pressure sender for the gauge got whacked & the outer case camn move a bit, just found a new one on ebay, so I'll see if the existing sender leaks, I can leave it off & still be driveable, so putting it all back together tomorrow.

Well, not quite on the road yet, new front prop greased & fitted, no problem, :i-m_so_happy:

refitted the filter head & associated parts, had to go out for some oil, poured that in, started engine, oil leaking out of the sender units adaptor hole, :angry2:

so going to ask ask Mo nicely for his spare one & see if mine can be helicolied, upper 10mm of thread is stripped & that's the bit of thread needed for the adaptor to screw in to. so my filter head is off the engine again. :angry2: feeling annoyed.

With you 100%, :i-m_so_happy: also found today drop arm nut was loose, arm moved up/down, now tighter than tight, & steering column lower UJ has a bit of play, so that's the next bit to replace when funds allow. never ending sometimes :rofl::wacko:

also looked online for M10 x 1mm pitch helicoli thread inserts, only ones I could find are to repair spark plug holes, so they would be far to large in diameter for my needs, hopefully the filter head Mo offered will get it all sorted.

also looked online for M10 x 1mm pitch helicoli thread inserts, only ones I could find are to repair spark plug holes, so they would be far tolarge in diameter for my needs, hopefully the filter head Mo offered will get it all sorted.

Surely M10 is M10 Ralph?

Some motorcycle spark plugs are that small.

On 09/05/2015 at 11:14 PM, CwazyWabbit said:

Thanks Barry, just had a look & oh dear it fell into my shopping basket, so will end up with 2 options when it arrives :i-m_so_happy:

I've got a Recoil kit for M8 [had it years] but only got 1x M8 insert lol.

I'm going to wait until the one from Mo arrives, if all good then mine might be stored on garage shelf.

also have a new oil pressure sender for gauge coming too, mine took a good thump from the flying prop.

• Like 1

Well, the filter head that was offered & recieved yesterday, seems to be internally different to mine at one connection.

1st pair of photo's are my Defender 200tdi filter head ERR1299 according to the parts book.

2nd pair is the other 200tdi filter head

spot the difference ??

mine is not as deep & a smaller diameter where the end fitting of the oil cooler hose sits, one the 2nd item my pipe with nut tightened can be moved in/out quite a bit so won't form a oil tight seal.

all other threads & holes are the same, big thread is M20.

post-20-0-07772200-1431534787_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-09634700-1431534798_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-29517600-1431534878_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-94204400-1431534888_thumb.jpg

Yeah, isn't it just, bit of a delay again but a friend within walking distance has a pillar drill so I can get the helicoil fitted & then refit the filter head to engine. fingers crossed, will find out soon :i-m_so_happy:

All back together but still got a oil leak from the pressure sender hole, so the helicoil job hasn't worked, :angry2: it's as tight as I dare take it.

the filter head that I found on turner engineerings website says 'out of stock' :angry2:

there's one on ebay but photo's aren't good enough to tell if it's the same as mine, & for a used part is a bit pricey even more than Turners have it listed at.

only options are change the oil cooler hoses to the taper seat type or find some adaptors that accept my pipe ends & have a taper seat on the other end to match the later filter head.

The thread in pressure sender hole is M10 x 1mm pitch,

just seen on a old post in defender source.com the pipes & filter head on my engine are the later type, also says the earlier 200tdi used the taper seat for want of a better description [not taper thread] end fittings like this

ESR280

ESR281

but both hose types are M20 coarse threaded.

I think my fastest way to be on the road again is to change to the 2 hose assemblies above & use the other filter head,

after a bit of digging within here, I found this post from Mr Murphy

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:58 PM

ESR 280 and 281 are the correct oil cooler pipes for mine smile.gif
So it seems earlier 200 Tdi's use the tapered fittings and late 200's use the 300 o ring type.

There, solved biggrin.gif

Mo

so going by the findings above I must have the later filter head & oil cooler hoses [both ends have O ring seals]

so my 'new' filter head is the early taper seat type, so best to buy the above hoses to get me rolling again.

I could be wrong, but I wouldn't expect a helicoil to seal with a tapered thread.... as the insert won't be sealed to the outside.

This is the adaptor for oil pressure warning light & oil pressure gauge senders [plus a banjo type bolt gauge sender]

it's not a taper thread.

http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/115009/1140/adaptor___oil_pressure_gauge

oil warning sender fits in end of 1st linked part which has the banjo fitting around it with the gauge sender on the internally threaded right hand end as in photo below, leak is from the filter head end.

Been under my 110 again, feeling a lot happier this evening, found a roll of ptfe thread sealing tape amongst all the junk on my desk, so applied a few wraps to the pressure senders adaptor threads with engine running the leak is vastly reduced, also found the banjo adaptor is a bit bent, so got to obtain a new one of those too, hopefully replacing that will stop the leak altogether & as a 2nd option my local LR parts man has one of the oil cooler pipes in stock & can get the other for tomorrow, so I have an alternate plans to fall back on, :i-m_so_happy: so feeling much happier :D than I did after yesterdays toils, :rolleyes:

the addition of ptfe tape seems to have worked, been for a decent length drive & all looks OK, out on rally recovery duty tomorrow & Sunday, collected the other pipes as well, need to source the other radiator adaptors too.